Paul Pastusek will share the Stabilizer Selection Guidelines that ExxonMobil has developed to improve their drilling operations as a result of stuck pipe and near miss events.
The drilling objectives are to:
- Drill a round, ledge free hole, without patterns, with minimum vibration, minimum unplanned dog leg severity, that reaches all directional and geologic targets.
- Do this in one run per section where ROP is unconstrained by the bit or BHA.
- Drill ahead, with no noticeable stabilizer torque or drag.
- Trip In and Out on elevators (no flow required) in all wells, including high angle holes, with no accumulation of cuttings on the stabilizers.
- Trip past ledges and hole irregularities equal to full blade depth without the need for rotation.
The presentation includes guidelines on taper angle, wrap angle, bypass area, stabilizer pad diameter, stabilizer blade pad pressure, fabrication methods, material specifications, and transition radii to help accomplish these objectives. This document has been shared with all major BHA vendors for feedback, but it is still a work in progress and a draft. Paul will also share some examples of what not to put in the ground (if you want to get the BHA back out).