The course will provide the basic knowledge and fundamentals of intelligent well completions needed to successfully identify, plan and execute intelligent well and field projects. The course focuses on two aspects of intelligent well technology: 1) an understanding of the petroleum engineering considerations for intelligent well applications including project screening, well performance modeling and reservoir simulation; and 2) knowledge of equipment specifications and functionality, completion design and project execution for successful implementation and value creation.
- Elements of an intelligent well
- Applications and business drivers for intelligent completions
- Basic screening questions to ask
- Simulation tools and evaluating improved productivity/recovery
- Using intelligent wells to address reservoir/production uncertainty
- Inflow, outflow and Nodal analysis with intelligent wells
- Flow control valve design for linear control
- Artificial lift and intelligent wells
- Defining completion function requirements
- Flow control valves and actuation systems
- Downhole sensors
- Control systems, communication and power, ancillary support equipment
- Data collection, validation and storage
- Analysis and decision processes, control and optimization
- Developing an operating philosophy for intelligent wells
Who Should Attend
This course is intended for reservoir, production, drilling and completion engineers, managers and other personnel who are interested in learning about intelligent well technology and its potential application in their assets and field development plans.
What to Bring
Students must bring a laptop and a calculator.
1.6 CEUs (Continuing Education Units) awarded for this 2-day course.