Scott L. Miller
Noble Energy, Inc., Houston, TX September 2019 – July 2020
Lead Well Operations Geologist - Conventional Exploration (Colombia, Equatorial Guinea)
• Successfully secured service providers and personnel for geological operations for a high profile deepwater well in the Lower Magdalena Basin and a complex extended reach deepwater production well in E.G.
• Ensured aggressive timeline (<12 months) met with service contracts executed or ready for execution ahead of schedule and at significant cost savings.
Noble Energy, Inc., Houston, TX November 2017 – April 2020
Team Lead, Senior Geologist Advisor - Western Hemisphere Exploration (Canada)
• Project manager for joint venture, lead multidisciplinary team in Orphan Basin, identify prospects and drilling locations on 3D and 2D seismic data, mature to drill ready status, and secured services and personnel for well drilling geologic operations ahead of schedule and under budget.
• Guided Exploration team in a regional study of offshore Northeast Canada and east Atlantic conjugate basins to refine petroleum system risk elements. Results led to savings of at least USD$25MM
• Partnered with New Ventures team to evaluate and rank additional acreage opportunities.
• Worked closely with senior management to redefine Noble’s role and activity level in non-operated joint ventures, allowing my team to concurrently participate in several non-op opportunities.
Noble Energy, Inc., Houston, TX March 2016 – December 2018
Team Lead, Senior Geologist Advisor - Western Hemisphere Exploration (Suriname)
• Project manager for joint venture, leading team in Guyana-Suriname Basin to identify prospects, mature a high profile well to drill-ready status. Oversaw geologic operations during well drilling operations, post well analyses and end-of-well reports. Drilled well with 2% NPT and 15% under budget.
• Steered a regional study of Guyana-Suriname Basin to identify acreage opportunities. Recommendations led to Block 58 joint venture negotiations with Apache; although partnership did not materialize, Apache’s drilling led to several commercial discoveries.
Noble Energy, Inc., Houston, TX September 2014 – March 2016
Team Lead, Geologist Advisor – International Exploration (Falkland Islands)
• Directed well delivery team from planning and permitting to successful drilling operations of rank wildcat well in Fitzroy Basin on the Falkland Plateau.
• Standardized Noble’s Statement of Requirements format and streamlined the Application to Drill, reducing permitting time by 50%.
Noble Energy, Inc., Houston, TX March 2014 – September 2014
Team Lead, Geologist Advisor – International Exploration (Sierra Leone)
• Led Noble’s team to interpret 3D and 2D seismic data and define offshore prospects in Sierra Leone. Lack of viable offshore prospects resulted in decision to exit block, eliminated further investment.
Noble Energy, Inc., Houston, TX April 2012 – February 2014
Senior Geologist – Latin America and Far East Exploration (Nicaragua)
• Built integrated reservoir models with complex structure and stratigraphy to characterize the Paraiso prospect and resource assessment.
• Successfully led well delivery team to permit, safely drill, and complete close out activities of first offshore well in Nicaragua in over 20 years, ahead of schedule and under budget.
ExxonMobil, Houston, TX June 2011 – March 2012
Senior Geoscientist - ExxonMobil Research Company (Western Canada - Athabasca Tar Sands)
• Built innovative and complex reservoir models to represent large anastomosing point bar systems for Athabasca Oil Sands, Alberta, Canada. Results used to improve feedstock consistency, improving production efficiency, and reducing production cost.
ExxonMobil, Houston, TX April 2006 – May 2011
Senior Geoscientist - ExxonMobil Exploration Company (Angola, North Caspian Sea, Gulf of Mexico)
• Integrated new data into a siliciclastic reservoir model that confirmed a 100 MBO reserve increase for a field in Angola Block 15.
• Headed a sub-regional seismic and stratigraphic study to improve the understanding of reservoir characteristics in the deepwater Paleogene Foldbelt, Gulf of Mexico.
• Utilized new data to rebuild a carbonate reservoir model for a discovered field in the North Caspian Sea, Kazakhstan. Results used to derisk and reduce timing and cost for development and production planning.
• Redefined collaborative role between geoscientists and development engineers to deliver more flexible and useful geologic models to simulate development scenarios and petroleum production. Resulted in fewer model update iterations and reduced delivery time.
ExxonMobil, Houston, TX July 2005 – March 2006
Senior Geoscientist - ExxonMobil Development Company (Chad)
• Performed log interpretation and stratigraphic study that improved understanding of reservoir connectivity, integrated into development plan for heavy oil production from onshore fluvial reservoirs (Doba Basin).
ADDITIONAL PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
Scott L. Miller Consulting Geologist, Rapid City, SD September 2000 – June 2005
• Engineering geology and environmental investigations in the Black Hills of South Dakota and Wyoming.
Wyoming Department of Environmental Quality, Lander, WY August 1997 – August 2000
• Program Principal, Land Quality division, managed and evaluated hydrogeologic data from mines and solid waste management facilities.
Oregon Department of Environmental Quality, Eugene, OR August 1995 – July 1997
• Project Manager, Voluntary Cleanup Program, interpreted geologic and hydrogeologic data to develop remedial action plans to clean up sites contaminated with hazardous and non-hazardous substances.
Mateffy Engineering, Inc., New Brighton, MN January 1991 – July 1992
• Project Manager for environmental investigations and cleanup projects.
Weber and Associates, Watsonville, CA February 1989 – October 1990
• Staff Geologist for Geologic Hazard (Landslide and Fault) investigations within the San Andreas Fault Zone.
Awards and Certifications
• Wyoming Professional Geologist PG-2513
• South Dakota Engineer-In-Training E-9207
• Geological Society of America (since 2000)
• American Association of Petroleum Geologists (since 2003)
• Houston Geological Society (since 2005)
GEOLOGIST and GEOLOGICAL ENGINEER
Accomplished senior geologist advisor with extensive experience in overseeing and leading a large functional team to define prospects, select well drilling locations, prepare for and execute well site geological operations, manage post well analyses and finalize end-of-well reports. Expertise in leading well operations, multidisciplinary team leadership, and cross-functional collaboration. Proven background in building integrated reservoir models and managing and integrating geological, geophysical, petrophysical, and production data. Exemplary communication, interpersonal, and leadership skills. Core competencies include:
Domestic & International Exploration
Conventional & Unconventional
Ph.D. Geology & Geological Engineering. South Dakota School of Mines & Technology
M.S. Geology and Water Resources. University of Wyoming
B.S. Earth Sciences. University of California, Santa Cruz
Macquarie University, Sydney Australia. University of California, Education Abroad Program