JAVIER TELLEZ GEOSCIENTIST
Petroleum geoscientist with experience working in multi-disciplinary groups. My skills include integrated reservoir projects using machine learning techniques and data analytics for technical evaluation of hydrocarbon potential. Experience in prospect evaluation of shale unconventional plays in Oklahoma such as the Woodford shale and the STACK Meramec strata using geologic maps, petrophysics, logs, and 3D seismic along with machine learning techniques to build reservoir models and de-risk volumetric reserve estimations.
Baker Hughes, Oklahoma City, OK, Jun-Aug 2018
• Built static reservoir models to predict drilling performance in the STACK, SCOOP, and Merge areas, Anadarko Basin, Oklahoma. This project was developed using data analytics and machine learning techniques to predict geomechanical properties and lateral variability of the unconventional reservoirs.
Pathfinder Exploration LLC, Norman, OK, Feb-Aug 2015
• Evaluated and de-risked of prospective areas in the Anadarko basin for primary and secondary development through integration of geological, geophysical and engineering data in static reservoir models.
Occidental Oil and Gas, Bogota, Colombia, Jan 2011-Jan 2014
• Evaluated of >100 new development and > 20 appraisal wells in the Llanos Basin.
• Conducted stratigraphic and structural interpretations in 3D reservoir models to support reserves volumetric estimations.
• Updated static reservoir models through incorporation of new multi-source data to de-risk reserves volumetric using probabilistic volumetric evaluations.
Occidental Oil and Gas, Bogota, Colombia, Oct 2008-Jan 2011
• Evaluated >100 workovers jobs through integration of seismic and geological data to improve reservoir performance and recovery.
• Provided insight to support technical meetings with joint venture partners (Ecopetrol and Repsol).
Occidental Oil and Gas, Bogota, Colombia, Jan-Oct 2008
• Integrated 3D seismic attributes and well data to recommend potential areas for drilling of 3 new development wells in the Matanegra Block.
Graduate Research Assistant
Reservoir Characterization and Modeling Laboratory (RCML)
University of Oklahoma, Norman, OK. Spring 2016-2020
• Investigate outcrop to subsurface stratigraphy and evaluate heterogeneity of unconventional tight fluvial sandstones using data analytics and reservoir modeling, Colorado.
• Created seismic-constrained static reservoir models to characterize petrophysical and geomechanical properties of unconventional Mississippian strata, STACK Play, Oklahoma.
Attribute Assisted Seismic Interpretation (AASPI)
University of Oklahoma, Norman, OK. Spring 2016-Present
• Implemented machine learning techniques using seismic attributes and well logs for mapping dolomitic facies in calcareous reservoirs, Gulf of Mexico, Campeche field.
• Applied deep-convolutional neural networks to estimate porosity from thin-section images in Mississippian unconventional reservoirs, STACK, Oklahoma.
Institute of Reservoir Characterization (IRC)
University of Oklahoma, Norman, OK. Spring 2014-Dec 2015
• Analyzed well log response and correlated 3000 wells for structural and stratigraphic mapping of the Woodford shale, Ardmore Basin, Oklahoma.
• Interpreted seismic-stratigraphy and defined seismic-facies using Self-Organized Maps in deepwater deposits, North Carnarvon Basin, Australia.
Awards and Certifications
Learning Aerial Photography with Drones
Learning Pix4D Drone Mapping
Applied Machine Learning: Algorithms
Applied Machine Learning: Foundations
Machine Learning Essentials for Seismic Interpretation
Python Essential Training
2018 Provost Award of Excellence in Teaching: Certificate of Distinction for top 10 percent of all graduate assistants across campus by student evaluations for courses taught during the Fall 2018 semester, University of Oklahoma
2017 ETCS Award for Most Dedicated International Instructor, Graduate College of the University of Oklahoma. Fall 2017 semester, University of Oklahoma
2018 Best Collaborating Internship Project, Baker Hughes. Awarded for integrating disciplines to achieve the project objective, Summer 2018, Oklahoma City, OK
2018 Second place Award in Poster Presentation: AAPG Student Expo: Tellez, J. J., M. J. Pranter, and R. Cole, 2019, UAV-Based Photogrammetry for Facies Architecture and Fluvial Sequence Stratigraphic Definition of the Burro Canyon Formation, Piceance Basin, Colorado, 2018 AAPG Student Expo, University of Oklahoma, Norman, Oklahoma
2018 Second place Award for Poster Presentation: Conoco Phillips Research Symposium, Tellez, J. J., M. J. Pranter, and R. Cole, 2019, UAV-Based Photogrammetry for Facies Architecture and Fluvial Sequence Stratigraphic Definition of the Burro Canyon Formation, Piceance Basin, Colorado 2018, AAPG Student Expo, University of Oklahoma, Norman, Oklahoma
2008 First Place Award, internship project at Occidental Oil and Gas: Integration of petrophysical data and 3D seismic interpretation for potential new development wells in Matanegra Block. Cano Limon Field, Colombia
Society of Exploration Geophysicist / Chevron Student Leadership Grant.
Collaborating Internship Project, Baker Hughes.
Vice President, AAPG and SEG Student Chapters, 2016-2017 and 2017
Software: Proficient in Petrel, Petra, GeoGraphix, Techlog, Paradise, Crystal Ball, Python applications, and R, Pix4D, Agisoft.
Drone pilot for photogrammetry reconstructions
3D geocellular modeling
Languages: Fluent in English and Spanish.
Ph.D. in Geosciences
University of Oklahoma, Norman, OK, (Dec 2020)
• Dissertation: Integrated characterization of tight siliciclastic reservoirs: examples from the Cretaceous Burro Canyon Formation, Colorado, and STACK Meramec strata, Oklahoma.
• Advisor: Dr. Matthew J. Pranter; GPA: 3.8 / 4.0
M.S. in Geology
University of Oklahoma, Norman, OK
• Thesis: Seismic sequence-stratigraphic framework and architectural-element identification of deep-water deposits based on attributes and well logs for Tertiary strata at the Rankin Platform sub-basin, North Carnarvon Basin, Australia.
• Advisor: Dr. Roger M. Slatt; GPA: 3.9 / 4.0
B.S. in Geology
Universidad Nacional de Colombia, Bogota, Colombia
• Thesis: Integration of 3-D seismic interpretation and well-log data to evaluate the potential for new development wells in the Matanegra Block, Llanos Basin, Colombia.
• Advisor: Dr. Andreas Kammer; GPA: 3.2 / 4.0