Leader in Upstream Oil and Gas
Qualified, professional engineer with over 20 years in the upstream oil industry. Experienced in Production, Reservoir and Facilities Engineering. Past roles included Asset Development, Operations, Strategic Planning, Joint Venture, Commercial and Management duties. Technically astute in conventional and unconventional business, worked onshore fields in United States, Canada and Middle East and offshore assets in Gulf of Mexico. Leadership ability to inspire cross functional teams to deliver a common goal. Strong advocate for Safety First mindset.
CNOOC Limited (positions held with details listed below) 1995-2019
CNOOC Limited engages in the exploration, development, and production of oil and gas globally. It has a market capitalization of $70 Billion and over 18,000 employees. CNOOC acquired Nexen Inc. in 2013.
Sr. Joint Venture and Commercial Manager, Division: US Shale, Houston, TX, USA 2014–2019
Company representative to cultivate stakeholder relations for 400,000 net acres managed by the division. Provided broad technical and development oversight to 3,000 shale wells with annual budget up to $1 Billion. Held director and officer roles for numerous U.S. affiliate companies, including Chairman, President and Vice President positions.
• Advanced partner relations through respectful yet challenging discussions on operations, commercial and budgetary matter which provided mutual benefit to both parties.
• Negotiated the restructure of project prepayments with operating partners resulting in repatriation of $500 Million.
• Analyzed erroneous marketing charges from third party and successfully recovered $26 Million in audit claim.
• Identified business inefficiencies and proposed project to management which maximized value of staff by directing technical and financial focus towards companies that generated 95% of division’s activity.
• Managed the operational facet of Taking-Oil-In-Kind which would give CNOOC the full control of oil valuation through marketing efforts.
Production Operations Manager, Division: Gulf of Mexico, Houston, TX, USA 2012–2014
Responsible for the production, operations, safety and government compliance by all personnel working the Gulf of Mexico producing assets.
• Exceeded production targets while staying within operating expense guidelines, achieved by engaging personnel through regular field visits, monthly safety and key performance indicator (KPI) review meetings.
• Ensured adherence to company’s Safety and Environmental Management System by field personnel which allowed program verification from third party SEMs auditor.
• Recognized by employer for safe and successful transition of operatorship during divestment of assets.
Senior Production Engineer, Division: CDN Shale Gas, Fort Nelson, Canada 2012
Provided onsite engineering skills that expedited projects to geographically isolated shale gas field and plant.
• Collaborated with operating staff which implement quick wins to maximize daily production and reduce operating costs.
Asset Team Lead-Reservoir Development, Division: Masila Block-Yemen, Sana’a, Yemen 2011
Supplied leadership and technical skills to Yemeni Nationals trained in engineering and geology that effectively advanced projects and managed reserve reporting. Overcame challenges caused by geo-political unrest and the need to work remotely through effective communication.
• Energized a multi-disciplined team that brought forward economic development opportunities in a brown field business, managed waterfloods to successfully achieve business targets.
• Effectively communicated with “back-to-back” co-worker to ensure continued progress on, or completion of, projects and updates on staffing concerns.
• Achieved success in the role by being aware and respectful of cultural differences.
Asset Team Lead-Reservoir Development, Division: Shallow Gas, Calgary, Canada 2008-2010
Led a multi-disciplinary team of technical professionals on a mature shallow gas asset that was located in an environmentally sensitive area. Mentored staff in creating challenging yet achievable annual targets and ensured delivery of accurate reserves bookings.
• Responsible for the economic and safe development in a field with 3,000 existing wells. Overcame field development challenges related to environmental timing, location restrictions, and logistics by engaging all stakeholders.
• Systematically tested shale intervals with hydraulic fractures within a conventional field which provided information to determine whether a development program was economically viable.
Production Engineer, Division: Heavy Oil, Lloydminster, Canada 2000-2008
Managed production from multiple heavy oil fields, developed on 40 acres spacing or less, and with an API gravity range of 12-18 degrees. Provided production engineering skills to fields that were either water or steam flooded and on various means of artificial lift technologies, including rod and tubing pumps, electrical submersibles and progressive cavity pumps.
• Led monthly production meetings with field personnel to review well performance, executed workovers and balanced waterflood patterns to maximize well performance.
• Responsible for the completions on new horizontal and vertical wells. Implemented latest technology and best practices to ensure a superior cleanup of the wellbore.
• Recommended and achieved partner approval for a facility operating cost fee model based on volume and quality of crude being processed resulting in equitable value for all owners.
• Liaised with vendors to effectively select equipment and services thereby maximizing the value of the asset.
Other Applicable Experience 1995-1999
Drilling and Completions: Performed drilling and completions engineering duties. Duties included obtaining well permits, sourcing vendors through competitive bid processes, engaged landmen and executed activity to deliver a producing wellbore for the asset team.
Reservoir Engineer: Worked as a reservoir and exploitation engineering, performing economic analysis and proposing development opportunities to management. Responsible for reserves booking, using various industry accepted methodologies.
Awards and Certifications
Professional Engineer (APEGA)
Production and Operations
Joint Venture and Commercial Management
Budgeting and Forecasting
The Bachelors of Science in Engineering (BSE) degree in Mechanical Engineering (ME)