PROJECT CONTROLS & COST ESTIMATING MANAGER
Cost Savings through Innovation | Technical Mentoring
Deep experience leading multi-million-dollar concurrent projects. Recognized for developing break-through solutions and tools, streamlining processes, and improving visibility. Award-winning Project Management Leader skilled in identifying financial and operational opportunities. Acknowledged as an accomplished Subject Matter Expert who produces highly technical training and presents to global audiences in engaging ways. Combines a passion for project leadership with a track record of achieving substantial cost savings.
Areas of Expertise
- Project Controls, Cost Estimating, & Scheduling
- Technical Quality Review
- Change Management
- Technical Training & Mentoring
- Safety Leadership
- Financial Project Reporting
- Continuous Improvement
Managed expansion of responsibility seamlessly to a dual role of Project Controls and Cost Engineering Manager for 9+months. Directed portfolio of 40+ multi-million-dollar projects for a combined total of >$500M involving 30+ team members disbursed globally. Ensured projects remained on budget and schedule despite 100% team turnover.
EXXONMOBIL CORPORATION 13+ YEARS
Project Controls and Cost Estimating Manager, Baton Rouge Area Projects Group, Louisiana 2020 - Present
Led Technical Quality and provided functional oversight over monthly project controls reporting, planning, scheduling, cost control, and field data analysis for Earned Value Management System on Capital projects. Orchestrated remote onboarding and training for 30+ new Project Controls Engineers in India and US to maximize early project results and inaugurated 2 global meetings.
• Coached 100+ new engineers by designing and organizing virtual hand-on instruction sessions for Cost, Schedule, & Controls community. Spearheaded new technical training course and delivered 5 virtual classes to global participants in interactive ways.
• Demonstrated leadership by influencing CPMO building hardening Project manager to switch from LS to RC contract to avoid project stoppage due to cashflow and inept contractor reporting. Communicated with project on ongoing basis and team was able to regain control over schedule and execution to finish without incurring additional cost for schedule interruption.
Project Controls Manager, Baton Rouge Area Projects Group, Louisiana 2018 - 2019
Oversaw 15 project engineers focusing on process improvement. Led change management procedures for 40+ projects portfolio.
• Reduced operating expenses $600K / year, streamlined Project Controls Reporting for <$10M projects by developing fit-for-risk reporting tool. Influenced department head to hire project technician to complete workload of 3-4 Project Controls Engineers.
• Guided project teams on change management process and procedures ensuring company funds were handled efficiently. Responsible for lump sum, reimbursable, and unit rate contracts management on Capital projects portfolio.
• Piloted team implementing 6 new tools and led development of 30+ on-demand self-study instruction videos. These innovative coaching tools revolutionized current onboarding process and enabled new practitioners to contribute earlier to their careers.
Senior Cost Engineer, Greater Houston Area, Texas 2015 - 2018
Headed 20+ projects (many concurrently) combined TEC value of $2.4B with 2 Gates on same date and interacting with diverse workforce of 5 different teams. Initiated virtual collaboration thus reducing travel cost by $10k.
• Recognized by FECDR team for quick turnaround on 10+ scope comparisons worth $7.5M, allowing PMD to resolve scope issues timely and saving of >$800k. Received Recognition Award for outstanding work on non-traditional projects for proactively supporting teams with information to improve decision-making capabilities.
• Lowered project cost, saving $200K on a $1.2B project by developing an effective project-specific closeout template which was embraced as a company-wide BEST PRACTICE.
• Handpicked to lead cost and controls portion for global internal audit in Italy. Guided project teams in understanding importance of following own procedures & influenced teams to update change management process.
Project Manager, Transition Coordinator, Baytown, Texas 2014 - 2015
Directed massive on-time relocation of 500+ employees from Baytown to the new campus facilities in Spring, Texas.
• Oversaw 30-member network of Move Coordinators for a 100% injury-free and safe move. Provided guidance to senior management on move-in coordination. Advised on logistic details ensuring employees will be productive without any lost time.
• Functioned as Safety Leader, motivating and influencing 30+ team members to participate in safety program resulting in 1st place in Projects division. Received safety award twice for actively contributing to safety learnings. Earned Safety Leader status for 9 consecutive quarters.
Project Controls Lead, Baytown Chemical Plant, Texas 2010 - 2014
Managed 5 contract staff and a 30-member team. Provided financial control, insight, and leadership for entire project life cycle for a $220M chemical plant construction project. Addressed multiple complex contracting strategies encompassing Lump Sum, Reimbursable, and Unit rate scopes.
• Piloted Field Safety for Young Engineers program, making a significant impact to company’s safety culture.
• Evaluated $100M Lump Sum bid as a vital team member, analyzing cost and schedule factors, assessing bids from several competitors, and selecting final contract award to recommend most value-added contractor to Project Executive.
• Provided cost-effective solutions during FEED, engineering, construction, start-up, and commissioning by facilitating change management, building relationships while training contractors on change process, and performing cost studies.
Awards and Certifications
Project Management Leadership Course at University of North Carolina (UNC)
Received company safety award twice for actively contributing to safety learnings. Earned Safety Leader status for 9 consecutive quarters.
Six Sigma Foundations
PMP - in progress
Project Management skills - Project Controls, Cost Estimating, Scheduling
Mentoring, Training, Coaching, Development
MS Office: WORD, PowerPoint
Excel - Completed Excel course “Lookup Functions in Depth” included
VLOOKUP, IF functions, and Pivot tables.
Primavera - experience in reviewing contractor’s Primavera schedules. Recently completed P6 course to enhance my Primavera skills.
Bachelor of Science (BS), Mechanical Engineering, Mississippi State University, Starkville, MS GPA: 3.94
Officer Candidate School, Jackson, Mississippi
Finance Degree, Chamber of Industry and Commerce, Koblenz, Germany