Raja is a Ph.D. candidate seeking R&D or Reservoir Engineering opportunities. He has a strong proclivity towards continuous learning and career progression. He is focused on innovation and practical application of new technologies. His interests in scientific advancement has propelled him to present several papers and further the cause to understand the physics and chemistry of new oilfield chemicals. His internships have provided him experience with reservoir simulation, reserves estimation, and asset evaluation. Through e-learning, he has obtained certifications on machine learning. He has a strong ability to critically visualize concepts and be creative.
College Station, Texas
Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas August 2013-current
Graduate Student Researcher (Research Advisor: Dr. Hisham Nasr-El-Din)
- Studied the complex nature of chelating agents and demonstrated its ability to dissolve iron sulfide scale.
- Proved the potential of a new surfactant-nanoparticle system to enhance mobility control with foam injection.
- Established peer recognition through publications in conferences and journals.
- Managed laboratory inventory, activities, and safety.
W.D. Von Gonten (Petroleum Engineering Consulting Firm), Houston, TX May-August 2019
Reservoir Engineering Intern
- Appraised a shale oil asset in the DJ Basin that led to a successful circa $700 million bid.
- Leveraged production data and thermal maturity maps to identify best drilling locations in the lease acreage.
- Proposed a field development schedule plan for infill wells to maximize rate of return for the asset.
- Reviewed operator financial models for consistency and ran cash flow -analysis in ARIES.
University Lands (Mineral and Land Rights Company), Houston, TX January-August 2018
Reservoir Engineering Co-op Intern
- Delivered the optimum well spacing (440’) for underperforming shale oil wells in the Permian Basin.
- Linked poor completion strategies to underperforming wells through reservoir engineering principles.
- Identified flow regimes using Rate Transient Analysis (RTA) and understood parent-child fracture hits.
- Constructed a reservoir simulation model using log and PVT data, and history matched using Petrel Re.
- Executed 60 forecast cases to ascertain best spacing and completion strategy to develop the shale asset.
Awards and Certifications
1. Ramanathan, R., Abdelwahab, O., and Nasr-El-Din, H. A. 2020. New Nanoparticle-foam System for Improving Mobility Control. SPE-203210-MS.
2. Ramanathan, R. and Nasr-El-Din, H.A. 2020. New Insights into the Dissolution of Iron Sulfide by Chelating Agents. SPE-202469-PA.
3. Ramanathan, R. and Nasr-El-Din, H.A. 2020. Chelating Agents for Iron Sulfide Scale Removal at 300F. NACE-2020-14859.
4. Ramanathan, R. and Nasr-El-Din, H.A. 2019. Improving the Dissolution of Iron Sulfide by Blending Chelating Agents and its Synergists. SPE-195128-MS.
5. Ramanathan, R. and Nasr-El-Din, H.A. 2019. Evaluation of Chelating Agents for Iron Sulfide (FeS) Scale Removal. SPE-197891-MS.
6. Patel, D.R., Ramanathan, R., and Nasr-El-Din, H.A. 2019. Optimization and Thermal Stability of the THPS and NH4Cl Blend to Dissolve Iron Sulfide (FeS) Scale at HPHT Conditions. SPE-197632-MS.
7. Le, L.Q., Ramanathan, R., and Nasr-El-Din, H.A. 2019. Evaluation of an Ethoxylated Amine Surfactant for CO2 Foam Stability at High Salinity Conditions. SPE-197515-MS.
8. Xiong, H., Ramanathan, R., and Nguyen, K. 2019. Maximizing Asset Value by Full Field Development¬–Case Studies in the Permian Basin. URTEC-2019-554-MS.
9. Ramanathan, R., Shehata, A.M., and Nasr-El-Din, H.A. 2016. Effect of Rock Aging on Oil Recovery during Water-Alternating-CO2 Injection Process: An Interfacial Tension, Contact Angle, Coreflood, and CT Scan Study. SPE-179674-MS.
10. Ramanathan, R., Shehata, A.M., and Nasr-El-Din, H.A. 2015. Water Alternating CO2 Injection Process – Does Modifying the Salinity of Injected Brine Improve Oil Recovery? OTC-26253-MS.
11. Ramalingam, A., Ramanathan, R., and Arunagiri, A. 2014. Molecular Interactions in Binary Mixtures of 1-ethyl-3-methylimidazolium ethyl sulfate Aromatic Sulfur Species. J Innovative Eng.
Production Enhancement Research:
1. Mineral Scale Management
2. Nanoparticle Foam Flooding
3. Low-Salinity Brine Flood
4. Oilfield Chemistry
1. Shale Performance Analysis
2. Reservoir Simulation
3. Field Development Optimization
4. Asset Economic Evaluation
1. Linear and Logistic Regression
2. Artificial Neural Network
3. K-means Clustering
4. Anomaly Detection
- Doctorate, Petroleum Engineering, Texas A&M, College Station, GPA: 3.9.
- Masters, Petroleum Engineering, Texas A&M, College Station.
- Bachelors, Chemical Engineering, National Institute of Technology, Trichy, India.