QUALITY ASSURANCE AND CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT LEADER
Quality Assurance professional with 15 years of success driving improvements and customer satisfaction in manufacturing, operations, and processes for leaders in the steel, Oil & Gas, and electronic components industries in the U.S., Mexico, China, and Portugal. Recognized as influential company resource for exceptional performance in all roles. Demonstrated strength in leadership of cross-functionally and cross-disciplinary teams on projects that require immediate attention; leveraging strong communications and interpersonal skills to engage, motivate, solve complex problems, and lead projects to successful conclusion, looking for a leadership manager role to integrate skills and knowledge.
UNITED STATES STEEL CORPORATION, Houston, TX 2012–2020
(Integrated steel producer with major production operations in North America and Central Europe.)
Quality Assurance Manager / Coordinator (10/2019 – 09/2020)
Promoted to lead quality assurance teams on offshore operations located in Arkansas and Texas for Houston and Wheeling Machine Products, driving synergy between sites, and aligning processes as possible. Management representative for external certifications, including API Q1/ISO 9001.
• Improved Quality Objectives performance by 30%, maintaining Reject Rate below goals with established Quality initiatives.
• Improved performance on external audit by decreasing 30% the amount of annual minor nonconformances.
• Improved and maintained stakeholders’ engagement / Customer Satisfaction Survey as well as Key Performance Indicators by following up and providing feedback follow-up to customers.
• Coordinated internal audit program as required per API/ISO and ASTM with 100% compliance on scheduled audits and coached team in proper audit program execution, by developing audit program and assessing future needs.
• Inherited customer claim for specific failure mode on pipe, led team that identified root cause, implemented corrective action, and developed plan for prevention, reducing number of specific claims to zero within six months.
• Inherited unresolved minor findings from audit, quickly created response team, and secured certifying body acceptance with zero issues; follow-up responses were in place for the next audit.
• Built cross-disciplinary implementation team for new engineering design for proprietary premium connection requested on short notice, enabling first run of new design with zero significant issues on first customer orders.
• Defined external premium connection requirements, including drawings, inspection report forms, and Stress Relieving Qualification, and supported business planning, sales, and engineering on quality requirements for key and critical suppliers.
• Developed and drove continuous improvement of quality orientation training for new employees, linked to the safety focused training, Personal Protective Equipment and focus on Business Metrics.
• Collaborated on Diversity and Inclusion initiatives that led to Texas Diversity Council’s 2019 Diversity First TIM Corporate Leadership Award for the Texas site.
• Developed and implemented Quality Control Plans (QCP), Inspection Test Plans (ITP), and Manufacturing Procedure Specifications (MPS) for business planning and operations, enhancing communications on customer requirements for both threading and Non-Destructive Evaluation (NDE) inspection operations.
Quality Assurance Engineer II (01/2012–09/2019)
Focused on threading and inspection services for casing, drilling connections, and steel pipe for the Oil & Gas industry to ensure safety, quality. and sustainability for company services and products. Supported product engineering during release of new premium connections. Served as Acting Quality Manager when required.
• Key player in successful plant API recertification audit (2012) and achievement of dual API Q1/ISO 9001 certification in 2005, by identifying compliance gaps and implementing Management of Change and Risk Assessment initiatives.
• Developed and improved engineering presentations for customers and internal Management Reviews.
• Orchestrated execution of internal audit program with 100% compliance on scheduled audits.
• Coordinated a successful and smooth transition to API Q1 9th edition of quality management system.
• Replaced manual, paper training records with new training matrix and integrated software system within six months, facilitating easy access for customer and audit purposes.
• Streamlined process for heat treat / mechanical stress relief qualification of temperature on new design combinations via mechanical testing per customer requirements, reducing qualification time from up to one week to two days on average (expedited samples ready within 24 hours).
KEMET ELECTRONICS CORPORATION, Greenville, S.C.; Matamoros, Victoria, Mx; Évora, Portugal 2005–2010
(Manufacturer of electronic components; 10,000 employees.)
Quality & Project Engineer (02/2005 – 10/2010)
Built reputation as a company expert in implementation of new supplier’s raw materials projects, leading various phases of technical support and process re-design for plants in Mexico, Portugal, China and the U.S. (from pilot tests to full implementation without impact on finished product performance).
• Developed strong partnerships with suppliers, identifying low cost, high-yield process improvement opportunities for clients and delivering millions in profit gains.
• Executed raw materials consumption projects, enhancing process, and achieving maximum yield, cost, and energy savings ($100K in estimated savings).
• Saved ~$1M through introduction of new raw materials, developing strong bonds for technical support from suppliers and making speedy design changes to align with business unit strategy.
• Key contributor on manufacturing plant process transfer, developing a micro-scale electro-chemical process for quality laboratory before and after plant transfer. Received Kemet Special Recognition Award for project (2006).
• Implemented waste reduction and new supplier qualification projects delivered on-time and with expected savings.
• Collaborated on the Quality Indicators Continuous Improvement Project for the Shingo Prize Audit won by the Matamoros Plant (2008); coordinated CECC: IECC, AS9100, ISO/TS 16949 quality certifications.
• Received the Kemet “Don’t Be Chicken” Program Winner (2009) for waste elimination projects (2009) and the Kemet Special Recognition Award for outstanding achievements on developing cost savings projects (2009).
SCHLUMBERGER OILFIELD SERVICES: Field Engineer – Acquired hands-on experience in field operations and performed nine rig assignments on the Burgos Basin natural gas drilling project, monitoring direction and inclination of wellbore.
AFX INDUSTRIES: Supplier Quality Assistant / Intern
Awards and Certifications
Overseas Graduate Scholar 2010
KEMET Special Recognition Award 2009
KEMET Special Recognition Award 2006
Academic Excellence Achievement 2005
Country's Universities Best Graduates Honor Roll Outstanding Student Non-Academic Development Diploma Excellence Scholarship 1999
First Place Winner at the National Chemistry Olympiad Children Academic Olympiad National Winner 1993
Change Management Specialist
Lean Six Sigma Green Belt
Change Management ǀ Strategic Planning ǀ Sustainability ǀ Quality Assurance ǀ Quality Management Systems
Continuous Improvement ǀ Process Development ǀ Supplier Qualification ǀ Regulatory Compliance & Audits
Project Management ǀ Root Cause Analysis ǀ Coaching & Team Development ǀ Lean Six Sigma Tools
Master of Philosophy in Engineering for Sustainable Development, UNIVERSITY OF CAMBRIDGE, Cambridge, UK
Dissertation: Assessing the sustainability of potential bioethanol from agave as a feedstock in Mexico
Bachelor of Science, Chemical Engineering, Graduated with Honors, MONTERREY INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY AND HIGHER STUDIES, Monterrey, MX