Product Development Engineer for Predictive Modeling
Business Driven Functionality | Machine Learning | Physics Based | Data Science | Value Generation | Flexible Development
Work with business leaders, end users, and other stakeholders to identify and articulate drivers for and benefits of computational functionality. Formulate requirement specifications and implementation plans. Maintain close contact with customers in order to adapt these as business needs evolve during product life cycle. Design, implement, test, and validate functionality. Provide user support and training for roll out. Deliver high quality products in timely and cost-efficient fashion.
SPRINGBOARD, Houston, TX 2020 to present
MACHINE LEARNING ENGINEER (STUDENT)
Pursuing Machine Learning Engineering Career Track Program on springboard.com. Anticipated completion December 2020.
- APIs, RSSs, web scraping, SQL, pandas, Dask.
- Cleaning and transformation at scale.
- Regression, classification, decision trees, anomaly detection, recommendation systems, deep learning.
- Process (selection, evaluation, validation) and tools (scikit-learn, Spark, Docker, Hadoop).
- Deployment at scale, cloud-based services, SparkML, PyTorch.
- Complete end-to-end development; data acquisition thru web deployment.
- 10 mini-projects covering data and modeling topics above.
- Capstone project.
HALLIBURTON, Houston, TX 2007 to 2020
TECHNICAL ADVISOR - ENGINEERING AND PETROPHYSICAL APPLICATIONS
Performed product development of commercial software to design and monitor coiled tubing well intervention jobs. Worked with business leaders to understand drivers and benefits. Prepared requirement, specification, design, testing, and user documents. Coordinated with customers during entire development cycle. Updated development activities as business needs evolved.
Data Scientist Certification
- Completed inaugural corporate training program (university based online courses; final project using actual engineering and maintenance data; 30 graduates).
- Proposed project was 1 of 3 selected for proof-of-concept funding by corporate technology.
Leadership and Teamwork
- Analyzed job site sensor data and identified situations where operation was not consistent with engineering best practices.
- Functioned as primary point of contact for field services champions specifying functionality needs of software features.
- Identified detailed requirements of inter-process and cross-platform communication for real time, automated control of jobs.
- Prepared functionality specifications and GUI mock-ups for application to manage cables installed in coiled tubing.
- Created specifications (calculations, GUI) for comprehensive functionality to design field engineering processes for removing various types of solid material from well using a variety of downhole tools.
- Specified testing requirements for variety of software modifications (calculations, GUI behavior, work flows).
- Submitted 2 US patent applications for use of real time calculations to manage and control job execution.
- Improved fluid tracking functionality: production from well, loss of treatment fluids, and fluid movement into formation.
- Enhanced moving grid procedures to handle downhole tools with diameter changes.
- Extended mechanical behavior model to handle downhole tools that do not bend and to include coiled tubing diameter and wall thickness changes due to plastic deformation.
- Used standard source control procedures (check out and in, check-in builds, nightly builds, release builds, branching, merging).
- Followed scrum methodology (daily stand-ups, burn down, sprint planning, sprint reviews, code reviews, testing).
OBJECT RESERVOIR CORPORATION, Austin, TX 2002 to 2006
PETROLEUM PHYSICS ENGINEER
Developed and supported software for finite element modeling of petroleum reservoirs in venture capital funded company.
- Determined requirement and implementation details of functionality for opportunities identified by company leadership.
- Planned project scopes to fit customer needs and executive management specified delivery dates.
- Coordinated team of modelers and GUI developers by helping members understand functional requirements of all components.
- Designed and implemented calculations for reservoir initialization, fluid property correlations, and grid adaptivity.
- Provided guidance to other staff on flow, fluid, and well models along with interactions.
MISSION RESEARCH CORPORATION, Nashua, NH 1999 to 2002
SCIENTIFIC AND ENGINEERING TECHNICAL STAFF MEMBER
Designed, implemented, and tested object-oriented framework to calculate atmospheric effects following nuclear burst.
EXXON PRODUCTION RESEARCH COMPANY, Houston, TX 1991 to 1999
SENIOR RESEARCH ENGINEER
Developed and supported reservoir simulation capabilities and rock property modeling. Activities included writing new programs, debugging and enhancing existing programs, troubleshooting simulation problems, and composing user guides.
Modeling of Physical Processes
- Designed, implemented, and validated black oil phase behavior model and Stone’s fluid flow model for Exxon’s next generation reservoir simulator.
- Developed and implemented phenomenological models of rock fracture behavior crucial to matching field performance of cyclic steam injection processes and to predicting long term oil recovery.
- Developed and implemented foam flow model enhancements essential to obtaining simulation match of field pilot tests.
Leadership and Team Work
- Served as computational modeler and program developer on teams composed of researchers, simulation users, geologists, and field operations personnel.
Awards and Certifications
Data Scientist Certification, Halliburton, Jan 2020
Best Project Presentation, Halliburton 2020 Data Scientist Certification Program
- Machine Learning
- Data Science
- Physics Based Modeling
- Business Requirements
- Customer Focused
- Multidisciplinary Team
- Product Life Cycle
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), Chemical Engineering, University of California, San Diego, CA
- Master of Science (MS), Chemical Engineering, University of California, San Diego, CA
- Bachelor of Science (BS), Chemical Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI