Muniz Martinez, Adan
Adan Muniz Martinez
Naval Architect and Marine Engineer, experienced at supporting global operations, projects, and marketing for a fleet of MODU’s consisting of drill ships and semisubmersibles. Project management experience across multiple engineering tasks that can be readily transferred to other sectors, such as lightweight tracking, vessel stability software support, lightweight survey / incline experiments, stability calculations for concept verification, dockside mooring analysis and development of station keeping plots. Sector specific experience in MODU drilling riser for creation of well specific operating criteria and mooring analysis. Continuously seeks to improve processes and communicate those improvements for team efficiency. Keen to learn new software and take on new tasks. Looking for a challenging and rewarding position in the Maritime industry, applying the leadership skills acquired through my experience as a Naval Architect, Marine Engineer and Project Management Professional.
Operations and Marketing Technical Support
• Provided guidance on preparations needed for successful lightship checks, explaining the requirements and process that would need to be followed.
• Supplied station keeping analysis, for DP vessels to prove to customer that they could continue to work in their current locations, when system capabilities were degraded.
• Advised on weather windows for operations in challenging environments or water depths ensuring safe completions of operations. This was achieved via operability analysis, riser analysis, mooring analysis and DP Station keeping analysis. The guidance also included extended to dockside mooring while vessels were in shipyards for out of service work.
• Prepared technical analysis for use in development of site-specific operating criteria, providing technical guidance and explanations of the results to operations or the customer as needed.
• Lightship Weight Tracking – provided guidance to vessels on best practice, and helped create a internal technical guideline in order to support efforts to standardize weight control practices across the fleet.
• Lightship Survey / Incline Experiments – Evaluate lightship records and verify their completeness, then determine if class triggers for lightweight (Deadweight) surveys or inclining experiments are met. If a deadweight/incline experiment is required, then issue guidance to operations on best practices, and contractors to utilize for the task. Upon completion, responsible for the technical review and approval of the final report. In some instances, also responsible for submittal to class for review and approval.
• Concept Validation – Provided stability calculations, proving that proposed concepts would meet stablished criteria based on class. Ensured customer requirements for cargo capacity were met from a volumetric and weight perspective. Ensured GA’s met the necessary volumetric requirements while in concept stage.
• Vessel Floating Condition Troubleshooting – Investigated load cases from operating vessels when discrepancies between the calculated drafts and the observed were encountered. Upon review of the cases provided guidance on how to determine where the load case might be and provided recommendations on way forward when cases were not easily determined.
• Cargo barge load out ballasting, stability, and strength checks – Provided cargo layouts, with ballast plans, stability calculations and longitudinal strength checks for cargo barges transporting equipment offshore.
• Heavy Lift – Conducted stability and global strength calculations for heavy lift operations, making sure the ballast plan and cargo would remain within acceptable tolerances during a lift.
• Software Modeling – Experienced in the use of multiple software packages for stability calculations, have learned to use GHS, MOSES and HECSALV throughout career. Can learn new packages very quickly.
• Emergency response – Supported efforts onsite when the Transocean Winner ran aground in Stornoway working with salvage team to run stability calculations. Responded to questions from management on potential scenarios as needed.
• Trinidad drillship nest – Requested bids from 3 companies for the engineering of a mooring solution that would allow us to permanently moor a cold stacked drillship with little modifications to the structure. Developed requirements that would have to be met by mooring system. Provided vendors with vessel data and requirements. Reviewed reports and recommended best solution to operations. Communicated results to structural engineering group, to assist in their efforts to re-enforce the deck to account for the mooring system forces.
• New Installation of CML on DPN engineering riser analysis packet – Sourced riser analysis to 3rd party documenting the impact of utilizing a CML on the string, analysis would be used for permitting with BSSE. Responsible for defining the scope with the vendor and ensuring the analysis was completed in timely manner. Provided Operation with constant progress updates and ensured their requirements were met by reviewing the final report.
• Field Level Riser Analysis – Obtained requirements from customer for field level riser analysis and found contractor who could meet our time constraints. Ensured all technical data and queries were addressed in a timely manner and reviewed final product to make sure all requirements were met.
• Lightweight (Deadweight) Surveys and Incline Tests – Responsible for managing 3rd party contractors during shipyard periods to ensure the work was completed on schedule, followed company best practices, and complied with class criteria (ABS/DNV/NMA). Acted as company representative during the data collection and upon completion reviewed their work ensured all relevant data was captured.
• Miscellaneous 3rd party engineering analysis – Identify need for 3rd party support, prepare recommendations to operations, request bids as needed, manage the work, and review the final product.
Ship Concept Design
• Development of GA’s and stability check for, various concepts – Obtain the cargo requirements as well as the volume requirements from the customer for the different spaces, make sure that all areas and volumes are accounted for in the hull. Verified that the proposed solution met stability criteria.
• Vessel modification studies cargo capacity – Verified the impact of a equipment swap on the cargo capacity of a vessel, by comparing a existing load case with a new one accounting for the new equipment. Reported the impact on VCG and maximum deck load capacity to operations.
• Conversion of launch barge into drydock concept study – Studied the potential conversion of a launch barge into a drydock, generated potential GA, and verified the stability at the critical point to determine feasibility.
• Process Mapping of Analysis – Led an effort to map the processes behind the marine engineering riser, and mooring analysis. Produced a binder containing the process maps as well as lessons learned to help train any new hires and improve our overall process.
• Creation of technical guidelines document – Participated in the creation of multiple internal guideline documents for weight control, and deadweight surveys. Each document tried to capture the lasted best practice and build from the lessons learned from the team.
• Report Generation Improvements – As needed have improved upon existing postprocessing spreadsheets by modifying the existing macros to account for the changes in the base program or report on new data not included in previous version. One such effort required me to increase proficiency in VBA to be able to import data from text file and generate conductor casing bending moments vs depth charts, thus reducing post processing time from 10 mins to a few seconds, and reducing copy/paste errors.
• Documentation and implementation of lessons learned on projects – Have kept a log using one note on the lessons learned during the different projects to apply those lessons when new tasks are assigned. Always let my colleagues know that I have that information and have openly shared it with them.
MODU Technical Analysis
• MODU Drilling Riser Analysis – Generate reports following API or ISO guidance for use in the creation of work specific operating site criteria. Created analysis for MPD/CML, and Shallow water, have created models for Deepriser, and developed space out sheets using API 16Q. Also responsible for reviewing 3rd party work.
• Mooring Analysis – Generated MODU temporary mooring analysis per API 2SK or ISO code, for use in work specific operating site criteria documentation, the analysis would combine drilling riser analysis results to generate the maximum offset criteria. Analysis was conducted using GMOOR, also have experience in building models in the software as well. 3rd party work review was also part of the scope when needed.
• Dockside Mooring Analysis – Created models in OptiMoor to analyze proposed dockside mooring arrangements, provided guidance to operations based the results with regards to maximum winds allowed before tug assistance was required and additional lines required. Also responsible for requesting 3rd party analysis and reviewing the results.
• DP Station Keeping Analysis – Generated DP capability plots using MARIN DP CAP in support of marketing requests. Utilized the same tool to support operations when we needed to prove to the customer that the vessels could keep station when thrusters were down. Recently began using DNVGL DP Capability Assessment tool, for modeling the vessels and running the DP capability studies.
Awards and Certifications
Patent Grant # 9011045
-Operations Technical Support
-In-service Lightship Tracking
-Dockside Mooring Analysis
-Offshore Mooring Analysis
-Stability Software Support
-Concept Design Evaluation
-Vendor Management in Cross Functional Teams
-Technical Standard Writing
-Drilling Riser Analysis
-Lightweight (Deadweight) Surveys & Incline Experiments
- Master of Science in Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering