Mr. Luis G. Paz Jr., MSE
Dedicated Engineering Professional
Passion for innovation, mentoring others, and improving systems and work processes.
Proven history of performance excellence and optimizing efficiency of operations. Outstanding integrity, ethics, and positive attitude. Highly diverse experience in domestic and international assignments within petroleum industry. Broad experience in Gulf of Mexico, West Africa, Middle East, and South America with top oilfield organizations, including D&C Engineering and Technical Support, Sales, Field Operations Supervision, Risk Assessments, and HS&E Management.
US Citizen. Bilingual: English / Spanish. Open to international relocation.
Greater Houston Area
EXXONMOBIL, Spring, TX 2019 - 2020
Senior Completions Engineer: Upstream Integrated Solutions
Completions and well testing engineering guidance for development of fields Liza Phase 1 and 2 and exploration and appraisal of new deepwater prospects in Guyana.
• Provided input to operational procedures for installation of open hole completions, including standalone screens and open hole gravel packs for producer and injector wells, optimizing reserves recovery.
• Coordinated first installation of battery operated permanent downhole gauges for well interference testing.
• Led remote surveillance and real-time decision making during pumping operations for installation of open hole gravel packs.
• Co-authored technology plan for the Payara field development, justifying implementation of smart (intelligent) well completions.
• Engaged multi-disciplinary team (geoscience, reservoir, flow assurance, and well testing) to conduct a root cause analysis of tubing obstructions during well testing operations, implementing operational changes and delivering savings of $0.5M/1 day of rig time.
• Oversaw development of a low ECD-capable Reservoir Drill-In Fluid for extended reach well trajectories.
ECOPETROL AMERICA INC., Houston, TX 2019
Senior Completions Engineer: Offshore Drilling
Subject Matter Expert for offshore well completions, well interventions, well testing and abandonments in offshore Colombia and the Gulf of Mexico.
• Provided well completion engineering guidance for both Ecopetrol and partner-operated field development work, from conceptual well design through ongoing drilling and completion operations.
• Initiated feasibility study of well test operations in offshore Colombia, proposing implementation of new technologies for well testing operations, including acoustic and battery powered instrumentation.
• Presented monthly summary of partner operated well activities to management, enabling them to assess company operational and financial performance.
WEATHERFORD INTERNATIONAL, Houston, TX 2016 - 2019
Completions Engineering SME: Reservoir Solutions - Well Engineering Group
Provided technical support to Latin America, Europe / Caspian, and Middle East Regions, as well completions and interventions engineering advisor.
• Performed tubing stress analysis (Wellcat modeling) for well recompletions in Eastern Europe.
• Provided recommendations for permanent well abandonments in environmentally sensitive areas in Colombia.
• Designed well hydraulic fracturing models for completions in unconventional horizontal shale plays in Middle East (Oman).
• Developed offshore rigless intervention campaign for platforms in a remote area during a consulting assignment in Argentina. Initial operations were executed with optimal results, re-establishing functionality of SCSSVs without reentering wells.
• Led as instructor of completion design section of Weatherford Drilling and Completions Hazard Management training.
• Generated data analysis of drilling and completion performance for elaboration bids and proposals of integrated project management of well operations and services.
BHP BILLITON PETROLEUM INC., Houston, TX 2014 - 2015
Staff Completions Engineer: Conventional Resources Drilling - Gulf of Mexico
Completion engineering and completion operations support for development of Shenzi and Neptune fields in Deepwater Gulf of Mexico.
• Created detailed completion design, cost estimates, and operation plans.
• Qualified and completed quality assurance procedures of completion tools and related equipment.
• Prepared well risk assessments, recommending risk controls and mitigation.
• Supervised offshore completion operations, acting as completions supervisor to cover gaps in rotation schedule.
HESS CORPORATION, Houston, TX 2011 - 2014
Completions Engineering Advisor: Global Drilling and Completions
Deepwater well completion design and operations planning for development of 2 fields in Equatorial Guinea.
• Generated work programs / procedures, including risk assessments, and related budgets and AFEs.
• Prepared tender packages, evaluated bids, and managed contracts.
• Planned and supervised execution of frac-packs and horizontal extended reach open hole gravel pack completions.
• Created completion basis of design and project managed start of completion operations for a 13 development wells campaign using a new built tender assist rig in a TLP environment, following a field development plan built by a multi-disciplinary team.
• Performed post-operation close out, including reviewing performance against plan, capturing lessons learned and developing solutions to problems to improve completion installation performance.
• Recommended well intervention techniques, recovering 4K bopd of halted production from 2 failed intelligent completions.
• Implemented remotely activated valve technology, saving 1.5 days of rig time and $1.5M.
BP EXPLORATION AND PRODUCTION INC., Houston, TX 2006 - 2011
Completions Engineer: Drilling, Completion, and Intervention Team - Deepwater Gulf of Mexico
Detailed completions and interventions engineering guidance for design, planning, and execution of completions in new and existing wells. Designed and generated time / cost proposals and on-site engineering support for all stages of well completions from planning to preparation for production.
• Designed completion of deepwater wells including inflow, production optimization modeling, sand control (frac-packs and gravel-packs), upper completion equipment specification and material selection, cost estimates for AFEs, and post appraisals.
• Led as single point of accountability the installation of well completions in deepwater Gulf of Mexico, with low NPT and without HSE incidents.
• Coordinated orders of long lead completion equipment sharing floating back up in 2 rig lines, saving $2.5M first year.
• Implemented inspection and recondition of leftover backup equipment, delivering savings of $600K per well.
• Spearheaded design and installation of surface hardware for sand control operations at Thunderhorse PDQ rig.
• Planned and executed interventions to replace surface well control equipment for new CFR compliance ruling.
• Analyzed completion installations using specialized software (WellCat), determining pressure and rate limitations for design of stimulation treatments, and critical flow in well abandonment scenarios.
• Co-authored contents of first version (post-Macondo) of BP well integrity testing guidelines.
• Created road map for risk assessments, HAZIDs, HAZOPs, and risk management guidelines for GoM Region.
BAKER HUGHES INC. - BAKER OIL TOOLS, Houston, TX
Region Engineer II: Sand Control and Cased Hole Completions
Led manufacturing engineering of cased hole completion, safety systems, and artificial lift equipment. Provided cased hole completions engineering support to the Gulf Coast sales force and acted as sand control completions and pumping services supervisor.
• Managed service center of subsurface safety valves for the Latin American region.
• Made engineering recommendations during elaboration of bids and proposals, assisted sales force during sales calls and visits, and performed tubing stress analysis for cased hole completion design and evaluation using TUBEMOVE (tubing movement modeling program).
• Redressed, tested, and supervised field installations of various sand control tools systems for gravel pack and frac-pack installations, including tubing conveyed perforating / drill stem testing operations and fluid pumping services operations.
• Designed hydraulic fracturing jobs, interpreting mini-frac data to adjust treatment designs.
HALLIBURTON ENERGY SERVICES, New Iberia, LA
Technical Professional II: Cementing, Production Enhancement, and Completion Tools
Conducted broad and extensive wellsite engineering encompassing drilling, completions, workovers, and production operations. Led technical projects and improved quality of completion tools and services deliveries.
• Worked as field representative providing cementing, coiled tubing, production enhancement, and completion services to several operators.
• Designed and supervised completions, workovers, stimulations, and P&A operations in land and shallow waters.
• Developed tool systems inspection sheets as part of the quality in process (QIP) initiative to standardize the coordination of completion equipment and operations delivery.
Awards and Certifications
SPE-166271 A Case Study Using a Remotely Controlled Downhole Valve for Completion Installation. SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition held in New Orleans, Louisiana, USA, 30 September - 2 October 2013.
SPE-165155 A 20/80 Oil/Water Ratio Nonaqueous Screen Running System Successfully Employed In Equatorial Guinea. SPE European Formation Damage Conference and Exhibition held in Noordwijk, The Netherlands, 5 - 7 June 2013.
Completion and Workover
Wellsite Operations Supervision
Deepwater & Subsea Completions
Flow Modeling / Assurance
High Pressure / High Temperature (HPHT)
Tubing Stress Analysis (Wellcat)
Health, Safety & Environment (HSE)
Completion Equipment Detailed Design Reviews
Intelligent (Smart) Completions
Master of Science (MS), Engineering, Engineering Management,
The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX
Bachelor of Science (BS), Mechanical Engineering,
La Universidad del Zulia, Maracaibo, Venezuela