Miller, Matthew Ph.D.
Research and Development Chemist/Manager
More than 15 years of technical experience in the oil and gas industry. Known for product development and the ability to manage projects from inception to completion on time and within budget. Specialization in chemicals for drilling and completion fluids. Accustomed to managing project teams to bring value to technical innovation. Demonstrates excellent communication, leadership, and collaboration skills to drive productivity and profitability.
NEWPARK FLUIDS SYSTEMS – Katy, Texas 2014 – 2020
Technology Manager – Product Development (2018 – 2020)
Managed product development for drilling and completion fluids. Led a technical team of 5 in product development and budgeting.
• Strategized and planned product development, which considerably revitalized the product line and increased revenue.
• Influenced decisions made by team members when designing new products. This initiative measurably reduced complexity while increasing manufacturability.
• Planned $100,000 + budgets for conferences, equipment, and capital expenses for the department, to ensure up to date knowledge and equipment for future projects.
• Received restricted stock awards of 471 shares in 2018 and 1000 shares in 2019 for contributions to Newpark’s Technical Innovation.
Supervisor Technology (Advisor)/Principal Scientist (2014 – 2018)
Developed various products for all types of drilling and completion fluids.
• Created an emulsifier used in fluids to drill over 30 off-shore wells and 2 million + feet of on-shore US wells, resulting in revenue of $40 million + in 2018-2019.
• Mentored and taught team members about product development and chemistry, which distinctly increased product and chemical knowledge.
• Designed 4 new products with reduced toxicity and improved manufacturability.
HALLIBURTON – Houston, Texas 2005 – 2014
Principal Scientist/Senior Scientist (2005 – 2014)
Developed various products for all types of drilling and completion fluids with focus on lost circulation and corrosion.
• Designed and evaluated 5 new products which generated $1 million + revenue during first 5 years of use.
• Authored or co-authored 10 papers.
• Redesigned 1 significant product, which improved performance.
• Invented or co-invented 31 patents with 20 ideas submitted in 2013 alone.
Ph.D. in Chemistry – Texas A&M University – 2002
Dissertation: “Structural Studies of Transition Metal Complexes of Electron-Rich Cis-Dithiolate Ligands”
B.S. Chemistry – Grove City College – Grove City, PA – 1998