Senior Process Engineer
Oil & Gas refining, petrochemical, chemical and renewables industry professional with a degree in chemical engineering and post-graduate in operations management. I have 14+ years of international experience in process engineering, operation, project engineering, monitoring – optimization, process safety management, turnarounds, planning & scheduling, construction, commissioning and Inspection of equipment, systems, units, and the whole facility.
An effective communicator & team leader with strong analytical, problem-solving & organizational abilities
Process & Project engineering
Monitoring & Optimization
Management of Change (MOC)
Process Design & Simulation
CAPEX & Cost Estimation
Process Revamp & Debottleneck
Operations / Production
Turnaround & Inspection
Process Simulation Hysys, VMG, Pro-II
P&IDs, PFDs, AutoCAD & Isometrics
HAZOP & Risk Assessment
Basic Design, PDP, FEED, FEL-1/2.
Mechanical Integrity & Reliability
Revamp & Expansion
Technical Sales – Projects, Softwares
- Experience in greenfield refinery projects starting from basic design, front end engineering (FEED), process design package preparation (PDP), simulation-modelling using Aspen engineering suites, detail engineering (FEL-1/2), construction & commissioning of the Essar Oil Refinery, Eagle Ford Condensate Splitter project, Bio-diesel production, and NARL revamp.
- Working experience in engineering and operations team for safe operations of the facility. Support the ongoing operations at the refinery for troubleshooting, problem-solving, test runs, process trials and support for the operation & engineering.
- 10+ years of first-hand working experience in Gas Plants and Refinery process units. Working experience in thermal units such as crude, vacuum, Visbreaker, delayed coker, bitumen, asphalt units. Treating units such as naphtha, diesel, vacuum gas oil and kero hydrotreaters. Reforming units such as CCR and platformer. Catalyst cracking units such as hydrocracker and FCC unit. I have post-treatment unit experiences such as gas recovery unit, gas generation units, merox, benzene, propylene, ethylene and xylene units. Also supported refinery operations in SRU, ARU, SWS, Utilities and offsites.
- 10+ years of experience in managing & implementation of Process Safety Management (OSHA PSM 29 CFR 1910.119 elements) standards, Loss Prevention Program (LPP), HAZOP, Safety Integrity Level (SIS/ SIL) classification, EIV/ROIV study, ALARP studies, WHMIS, LOPA, DNV Phast, Dispersion analysis, safety compliance with local and international standards.
- Coordinating with unit engineers, discipline engineers, schedulers, board operators, superintendents, lab technicians, maintenance planners, and field operators for engineering scope discussion, design modification, MOC / Engineering Change Notices (ECN) / EWR as related to the process, quality, monitoring plant KPI's, operating targets, product specifications, quality giveaway.
- Review existing process control loops, schemes, feed & product blending station configuration, and suggest improvement with the field's latest development, as per standard and market requirement.
- Supervising and checking process work from junior engineers, including sign-off, development of process engineering studies and technical notes. Preparation of reports and recommendations for new technologies and development of process control and safety design philosophies.
- Regularly performing plant-wide mass balance, energy balance, and utility balance troubleshoot the cause of the production loss, performance monitoring, utility loss, and energy/power loss to boost production and performance.
- Providing engineering inputs, scope change on projects, performing engineering calculations using MS-Excel VB based Marco sheets, simulation software (like HYSYS, PRO-II, UniSIM, ASPEN Plus, VMG-Sim, CADSIM, CsPlus, WinGems, ProMax, Pipe-SIM, Aspen EDR, Flare net, PS-PPM) for equipment design, rating, and revalidation of process equipment including heat exchangers, distillation columns, relief valve sizing, overpressure protection studies, machine OEE, pump and compressor efficiency, heater monitoring-efficiency calculations, control valve sizing, tank relief and hydraulic analysis of lines based on industrial standards, reasonable assumptions and best practices.
- Work with the Technology Development team and other key stakeholders on closed-loop refinery and petrochemical units, including establishing a process design basis, reviewing process options, and optimizing designs based on safety, cost, reliability and performance.
- Experience working with product design teams to formulate a manufacturing process for the new product and support product ramp-up operation. Developed and reviewed production line layout, Isometrics, Project schedules, PSI documents, BFDs, SLDs, P&IDs, PFDs, and system integration to ensure the quality and standards.
- Leading capital projects (small-medium size), scheduling, project planning, cost estimations, development, project management using Aspen In-Plant Cost Estimator ICARUS & Chemical Engineering Plant Cost Index (CEPCI). Interfacing with Engineering Procurement Construction (EPC) companies to coordinate engineering activities for the capital projects' technical development.
- Experience in preparing project documents such as EWR (Engineering Work Requests), Project Proposals, Process Design Packages (PDPs), Basic Design Engineering Packages (BDEPs), Conceptual & Feasibility study, Revamp and debottleneck study reports in consultation with discipline engineers and project engineers.
- Experience in using software like MS-Office, Teams, Aspen Process Explorer, Process Net, Uniformance, LIMS, PI, Business Flex, Wrike, Primavera, AutoCAD (2D & 3D), Solid Works, Autodesk, ERP, SAP, and MS-Visio.
- Experienced in refinery gasoline blending, crude blending, FO blending, LP Optimization, using MBO (multi-blend optimizer), PIMS, Aspen ATOMS Advisor and AVEVA Spiral suite for LP refinery optimization and LP modelling.
- Prepared plant for commissioning, annual turnaround, Catalyst selection, chemical selection, dosing & monitoring Catalyst replacement/regeneration, safe start-up, and shutdown. Coordinate with the construction team to monitor construction/modification of the process plants/system.
- Leading Safety, GRM, Environmental, GHG emission, Reliability improvement projects through EWR involve identifying and implementing process control strategies, process optimization, and process modifications.
- Process control, DCS, APC implementation, PLC, emergency shutdown system (ESD), Automation, cause & effect diagram (safeguarding) philosophy using ABB-Honeywell systems, Yokogawa & Siemens systems upgrade and revamp.
- Familiar with Standard Work, manufacturing framework processes such as Lean Manufacturing, Kaizen, 5S, Six Sigma or Continuous Improvement tools, Quality Control background; Data analysis, problem-solving, and audit process.
- Ensuring the NL Govt's equipment readiness, certification, CRN requirements & Inspection as per codes and standard.
- Training and coaching to the subordinates, new hires, and cross-functional staff. Involved in the mass hiring process and selection of experienced and fresh candidates for various roles.
- I have participated in implementing & auditing (ISO 9001:2008), Quality management system (ISO 14001:2004), Environmental management and OSHA standards 18001:2007.
- Familiar with API 520, 521, 560, 610, 650, 660, 2000 Standards, CSA B-51, 53, TEMA & IEC 61511, 61508.
- Greenfield Refinery (CDU, VDU, SGU, VBU, NHT, CCR, DHDS, Merox) construction, commissioning & start-up experience.
- Involved in three refineries technical evaluation for upgrades, mothball, purchase, change of ownership, and expansion.
- OSHA PSM standard implementation at RLIC – QSTec facility. Facilitator of HAZOP of Polysilicon project at all stages.
- Mechanical integrity inspection and test program, PSM Audit program, and Emergency planning and response program.
- Design, verify and implement DCS graphics, Cause & Effect diagrams, control loops, and ESDs for process units.
- Implemented & Revamped DCS Systems (Honeywell, Siemens, ABB & Yokogawa) and APC systems at Essar, LYB and QSTec.
- Crude & Vacuum Distillation unit revamp from 12 MMTPA to 18 MMTPA (210 MBPD to 320 MBPD)
- Visbreaker unit conversion to Mini-Crude distillation unit for Mangla Crude (80 MBPD).
- Eagle Ford condensate splitter unit 120 MBPD basic design, FEED & FEL-1 for Houston Refining LP (HRO), TX.
- Kero Merox expansion, train-II for 8000 BPD Jet production at Essar Oil Refinery.
- Methanol Production unit re-start-up after an upgrade at Channel view complex (CVO), TX.
- LNG Gasification plant expansion & underground storage from 2.5 MTPA to 3.5 MTPA at Bayport, TX.
- Construction & commissioning of new polysilicon phase-2 6800 MMTPA polysilicon production project.
- Platformer Unit revamp to 34 MBPD, NHT Revamp to 25 MBPD, and DHT revamp to 30 MBPD at NARL
- NARL: Diesel hydrotreating Dewaxing Project, FG Vaporizer, LER Debottleneck, Flare, Tank farm Rationalization.
- Renewable Diesel conversion project from Hydrocracker, Hydrotreater for the Soyabean, Canola and Palm Oil Feed.
- Water treatment plant modification with clarifier & upgrades to the latest technology from Ion-Exchange to RO.
- Lead for the Projects ranging from $1-10 MM (~400hrs – 2000hrs) for process modification, expansion, retrofitting, metallurgy upgrades, and revamps. Involved as Lead process/project coordinator for a $5-50 MM (~1000hrs – 5000hrs) project for the refinery, petrochemical, and chemical facilities.
North Atlantic Refining LP, Come by Chance, NL Canada
Job Title: Senior Process Engineer May 2018 – Present
Lead Engineer for refinery and responsible for monitoring, optimization, troubleshooting, process design - simulation and optimal operation of process and non-process units. My key role is to support daily operations, monitor units, perform optimization, maintain unit specs, capital projects cost estimation, plant design, operation, and facility engineering. Supervise and maintain unit production by continuously optimizing based on economic strategy and market demand.
Qatar Solar Technologies, Qatar Foundation, Ras-Laffan, Qatar
Job Title: Process Safety Engineer (Loss Prevention) Feb.2015–April 2018
Responsible for implementing OSHA PSM 29 CFR 1910.119 elements such as QRA, HAZOP, SIL, MOCs, Training, and other process safety studies. Performing design verification, construction, commissioning, and safe start-up of the 7200 MTPA polysilicon production facility at RLIC, Qatar. Involved in plant design, operation, capital projects, commissioning, technical support to the engineering and operation team.
LyondellBasell (Basell Polyolefins India Pvt. Ltd), Houston TX.
Job Title: Senior Project / Process Engineer Sept. 2011–Feb.2015
Providing remote monitoring, optimization, process engineering, process safety, and project support for LyondellBasell's North American refining and petrochemical sites. Such as Houston Refining, Channelview, Bayport, Tuscola, La-Porte complex for operation, PSM, upgrades, revamps, process design, Renewable & Bio Diesel, Process Simulation, overpressure protection, process project engineering studies.
Essar Oil Limited (Nayara Energy Limited), Jamnagar, India.
Job Title: Process / Production / Operations Engineer June 2007– Aug.2011
Member of the process engineering team & operation support Engineer for CDU, VDU, VBU, Merox, and SWS unit of Essar Oil Significantly involved in day-to-day plant optimization, support, process engineering, monitoring, and troubleshooting of units.
Involved in construction & commissioning of Diesel and Naphtha Hydrotreater unit at the refinery.
EDUCATION & MEMBERSHIP
- Tech Chemical Engineering, 2003-2007 Nirma University, Ahmedabad, India
PGDBA Operation Management, 2008-2010 Symbiosis Centre for Distance Learning, Pune, India
PGDP Petrochemical & Refining, 2010 Institute of Cheminformatics Studies, Delhi, India
- Eng Professional Engineer 2021 Professional Engineers & Geosciences of NL, Canada.
*Legally authorized to work in Canada without any visa sponsorship.
I am an oil & gas refining, petrochemical industry professional with 14 years of experience in operations, production, process engineering, project management, cost estimation, process safety, monitoring, technical sales, planning, and optimizing the facility. I am focused on a continuous improvement mindset with more excellent knowledge and understanding of the facility's systems, processes, and hazards.
Awards and Certifications
Professional Engineer - P.Eng
I possess skills in process engineering, process design, process safety management (PSM), EPCM, operations, productions, project engineering, plant design & simulation, performance improvement - test runs, process monitoring & optimization, product planning-scheduling, project management, turnarounds planning & execution, catalyst changeout-regeneration, construction, commissioning, Inspection and start-up of individual equipment, systems, units, and the whole facility.
Nirma University, Ahmedabad, India
Symbiosis Centre for Distance Learning, Pune, India
Petrochemical & Refining,
Institute of Cheminformatics Studies, Delhi, India
Professional Engineers & Geosciences of NL, Canada.