Satyaki Ray Petrophysicist (Oxy, Marathon Oil, ConocoPhillips)
Experienced and results oriented Petrophysicist with unconventional (mud-rock) and conventional quantitative petrophysical interpretation skills. Innovative wellsite operations, geology, geophysics and geomechanics skills. Applying proven expertise with detailed well-specific and regional interpretation techniques, including full integration of all seismic, available log, formation pressure, borehole image, core and fluid data. Specialist in capillary pressure interpretation. Experienced in working with customers in drilling and completion operations teams. Worked in fields from many regions including western onshore (Alberta, BC) and eastern offshore Canada (Atlantic Canada, Newfoundland and Labrador), US Permian (Texas, New Mexico unconventional hydraulic fracturing, conventional water floods and CO2/EOR, organic shale), Middle East (UAE, Oman, Qatar) and India. Strong background in seismic stratigraphy, structural interpretation, horizon mapping, rock physics and property modeling for conventional and unconventional reservoirs.
Houston, Texas, Contact cell: 1-713-494-9615
Occidental Petroleum Corporation (OXY), Houston, TX November 2012- February 2020
Petrophysical Advisor, Unconventional and Conventional Geomechanics SME
Accomplishment: Lead exploration and field development support for conventional and unconventional plays in multiple domestic and international basins (onshore and offshore) within time and budget. Internal QC, processed data and trained Oxy staff saving > $2 million
• Participated in advanced petrophysical analysis, rock physics training, wellbore stability analysis, well placement, hydraulic frac design, completion planning and post completion analysis across entire Oxy portfolio.
• Rock Physics and rock mechanics: Seismic data QC, Log QC, TOC, Pore Pressure, Fracture Gradient, Mechanical and Elastic Rock Properties (YM, PR, Biot, UCS) computation. Diagnostic rock physics cross plots (Vp, Vs). Deriving clusters in cross plots to define seismic facies. Fine tuning stress and strain inputs to create constrained geomechanical models.
o Permian Resources (Unconventional Mudrocks): Petrophysical analysis, image log analysis and geomechanics for unconventional and conventional reservoirs (Wolfcamp, Bone Spring, Woodford, Brushy Canyon Formations in Midland, Delaware basins and Central Basin Platform). Computed and calibrated TOC, Vro, elastic moduli, UCS, Poisson’s ratio, tensile strength from cores and logs were used to predict hydraulic frac height. Attended field.
o Permian EOR: Seismic scale sequence stratigraphy integration with well logs (Clearfork Formation)
o South Texas: Production log analysis (Javelina/ McAllen Ranch Vicksburg formations), Studied 60 wells with Flowmeter and Fluid density data in perforated intervals of Vicksburg. Studied cement bond logs, RST C/O and Sigma logs for waterflood evaluation.
o Offshore Qatar: MinSolve Petrophysics, fracture analysis, well planning, drilling and LWD RAB Microscope image log interpretation support in various carbonate fields (ISND, Al Rayyan, Dolphin, Khuff, Arab D and Shuaiba Fm). Processed and interpreted 100 image logs for structure, stratigraphy, fractures and sub-seismic faults. These were incorporated in a 3D Geocellular model.
o Oman: Geomechanics Wellbore stability and Pore pressure analysis (Fiqa / Natih unconventional). Workflow involved QI, petrophysics (porosity, saturation, permeability), mechanical properties computation, pore pressure, overburden and horizontal stress profile (in IP, Petrel and RokDoc). Well placement and safe drilling mud weight window were calculated to avoid wellbore collapse or mud-loss
o Abu Dhabi: Image log fracture and porosity analysis (Shah Gas field, Arab Carbonate Formations, Hail & Ghasha, Arab Carbonates). Worked on multiple image logs for fractures and secondary porosity spectrum.
o Colombia and Bolivia: Supported image log, petrophysics and well bore stability projects
o California heavy oil: Supported steam flooding projects in North Antelope and Midway Sunset fields
Satyaki Ray email@example.com Page Two
Marathon Oil Corporation, Calgary, AB & Houston, TX February 2008 – Sept 2012
Petrophysicist / Geoscience Advisor/ Operations and Development Team Lead
• Canadian oil sands / heavy oil field development
Accomplishment: Led 3D seismic acquisition, data QC, processing, interpretation, petrophysics and Petrel modeling efforts. Ensured results delivered to management on time for stage gate, budget and regulatory approvals.
o Led successful Birchwood oil sands drilling campaign in McMurray and Clearwater Formations (2008-2010)
o Hands on Petrophysical analysis including image logs interpretation (FMI, HMI, STAR and XRMI), integration of Triple-Combo, NMR, Dipole Sonic Scanner, VSP and core data
o Caprock Integrity: Geomechanical models were built to determine critical steam injection pressure.
• Shale Technology and New Ventures Group (2011-2012): Evaluation of Bakken, Eagle Ford, Granite Wash and Smackover lime and sands
ConocoPhillips, Calgary, AB April 2006 – February 2008
Senior Geologist/ Geomodeller
• Built 3D Petrel geological models of Thornbury and Clyden prospects in the Athabasca oil sands area.
• Geomodeling and reservoir characterization of Foster Creek and Christina Lake (FCCL) with Encana (Cenovus).
• Regulatory support/ Contracts negotiation
• Heavily involved in Surmont phase 1 SAGD project, McMurray Formation. Execute phase until first oil.
Additional Relevant Experience
Schlumberger Ltd., India, US, MEA, Canada
Senior Geologist & Geo-Steering Domain Champion
Accomplishment: Open and cased-hole log interpretation and supporting LWD-directional drilling field operations around the world. Improved service quality and product sales revenue by 20%
o Offshore India (ONGC)
o Western and Atlantic Offshore Canada (Husky, Petro-Canada, Imperial Oil)
o US (Apache, Conoco, Exxon, Shell, Chevron)
• Vertical Seismic (VSP) processing and generation of corridor stacks
• Petrophysical analysis of Tight Gas/Liquid rich deep basins in different Canadian plays such as Viking, Cardium, Gething, Falher and Notikewin.
• Trade shows, sales and marketing support, conducting customer specific presentations
• Technical domain champion (leader) of the PERISCOPE, GeoVision RAB/ ARC/ ADN Logging while drilling (LWD) services for Schlumberger Canada’s Drilling and Measurement team.
• Trained and developed 50+ operated and service company oil field personnel staff.
Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Ltd., Mumbai Offshore, India
Log Analyst & Senior Geologist – Offshore Operations, Laboratory and Computer Seismic and log interpretation
Awards and Certifications
Oxy Qatar: Team Award for exceptional collaboration for well planning and execution
Marathon Oil: Mara-Award winner for Birchwood Drilling and Geological Operations
Schlumberger Knowledge In-Action and Quality, Safety award winner
Certifications/ Volunteering/ mentoring:
Oxy: SME for applied geomechanics and borehole image log analysis. Conducted training in various locations
Vice President, Canadian Well Logging Society (www.cwls.org)
Professional Geoscientist – Certified by APEGA, Alberta, Canada
Committee Member, SPE Canada Unconventional Conference, Calgary
Technical Publications in SPWLA, CWLS, CSPG, AAPG, EAGE and APEGA
Correlation & Mapping |Unconventional and Conventional Petrophysics |Core Analysis
Sequence stratigraphy |Seismic Velocity Modeling |Wireline and LWD Image logs interpretation
NMR, Geochemical Spectroscopy, Sonic Logs |Pore Pressure | Geomechanics and Rock Physics
Heavy Oil/ EOR and Shale Reservoirs
|Training and Competency Development|
Software Proficiency: IP, Techlog, Petrel, Python coding, SpotFire, Ikon RokDoc
University of Roorkee, India
Master of Science in Applied Geology
IIT Bombay, India
Master of Technology in Geoexploration & Mathematical Geology