Earth Scientist with 4.5 years of varied industry experience in regional to reservoir scale projects. Key focus skills in stratigraphic systems, with emphasis in sequence stratigraphy, biostratigraphy, and integrated chronostratigraphy for establishment of local frameworks and play element distribution. Exceptionally fast learning and implementation of digitization and quantitative programs. Interest in growing geological expertise and incorporating quantitative and data analytical techniques.
Dec. 2018 – Dec. 2020, Earth Scientist, Basin Framework Team, Chevron ETC
• Establishment and deployment of conodont biostratigraphic workflow for high-resolution chronostratigraphy of the Wolfcamp Shale. Organization of conodont preparation followed by microscope analysis, faunal, and age interpretation. Integration of fusulinid, tight rock sequence stratigraphic, and quantitative stratigraphy frameworks. Optimization of biostratigraphic events through machine learning based techniques.
• Contributor for Permian Basin sequence stratigraphic framework refinement in Reeves county through identification of systems tracts and well-log correlation of event surfaces.
• Lead developer for multidisciplinary chronostratigraphic framework for regional evaluation. Integration of data from literature, well logs, biostratigraphic reports, sequence stratigraphy, tectonostratigraphy, and seismic stratigraphy for improved understanding of play risk element distribution, onshore-offshore facies changes, identification of sequence boundaries and flooding surfaces.
July 2016 – Dec. 2018, Geoscientist, Rock and Fluid Characterization Team, Chevron ETC
• Analysis of rock fabric, texture, mineral constituents, and pore morphology using optical microscopy and SEM to interpret preliminary reservoir rock quality and formation damage potential, with focus in Gulf of Mexico Wilcox Formation, Permian Basin Bone Spring and Wolfcamp formations, and Karachaganak carbonates.
• Detailed integration of thin section and SEM analysis with related data such as: point counts, Routine Core Analysis (RCA), Special Core Analysis (SCAL), X-Ray Diffraction (XRD), Mercury Injection Capillary Pressure (MICP) for comprehensive reports.
• Investigation and development of digital rock and image analysis workflows.
Awards and Certifications
Kohn, J., Barrick, J., Wahlman, G., Baumgardner, R., 2019, Late Pennsylvanian (Virgilian) to early Permian (Leonardian) Conodont biostratigraphy of the ‘‘Wolfcamp Shale,’’ Northern Midland Basin, Texas, in Denn, R., and Kahn, A., (eds.), SEPM Special Publication No. 11: Geological Problem Solving with Microfossils IV, p. 251-268
April 6, 2017 Presenter at North American Micropaleontological Society (SEPM) - Late Pennsylvanian (Virgilian) to Early Permian (Leonardian) conodont biostratigraphy of the “Wolfcamp Shale,” northern Midland Basin, Texas
• Stratigraphic Interpretation (bio-, sequence, magneto, litho, chemo-)
• Facies and EOD Mapping
• Carbonate & Clastic Sedimentology
• Core analysis and description
• 2D/ 3D Seismic Interpretation
• Petrophysical/ Well Log Interpretation
• Charting/ Mapping (Contour plots, Magoon Diagrams, Wheeler Diagrams)
• Mathematics (Calc I, II, III, Linear Algebra, Differential Equations, Statistics)
• Programming (Python 3)
• Excel, Spotfire (macros, basic scripting, plots, data visualization)
May 2016, M.S. in Geosciences Texas Tech University (4.0/ 4.0 GPA)
May 2014, B.A. in Geosciences, Minor in Mathematics SUNY Geneseo (3.38/ 4.0 GPA)