Dynamic and accomplished Reservoir Development Manager with career expertise leading multi-disciplined teams. Complimented by senior management of Fortune 500 companies for leadership in prioritizing and driving answers on appropriate focus areas and consistently adding millions of barrels and attendant value to high profile developments and producing assets. In West Africa, perennially extended and added millions of barrels, led all facets of a field appraisal, resulting development and producing assets sold for $2.2B+ USD. In Brazil, executed and operated the first offshore development without the NOC, exceeded sanction reserves through gutsy field extensions and sold the asset twice, each time with significant value attributed to probable reserves at $100M+ USD. Recommended pilots in the Brazilian pre-salt to minimize at-risk capital (multiple $B’s). In US, proposed a bold plan to expand enhanced oil recovery projects to mitigate the company’s imminent production decline, all with existing inventory at superior economics vs. acquiring new inventory.
ARRAY LLC, Houston, TX November 2016 - Present
President and Principal Consultant
Perform petroleum consulting and expert witness testimony.
MARATHON OIL COMPANY, Houston, TX August 2017 – February 2021
Corporate Development Advisor
• Proposed material acquisitions in Bakken, Delaware, Eagle Ford and other unconventionals.
• Recommended immediate action to mitigate lack of new well inventory and imminent field decline in the company’s foremost producing region, the Eagle Ford: following successful pilots, led the study of the entire field, reported and presented to senior management the case for enhanced oil recovery (EOR) expansion to 10 highest return well groups (265 wells) distributed across all development areas and which compete with tier 2 primary well economics even considering risk, gas supply, contracting, and stakeholder engagement challenges. Success will apply to the vast majority of the 1700 well inventory, extending tier 2 inventory, slowing field decline and delaying abandonments, a major differentiating theme for the company.
• Evaluated pad and well performance variance with critical review of in-place and induced properties with rate transient analysis (RTA). Correlated induced fracture flow to completion design for better economics.
BP AMERICA, INC., Houston, TX and Rio de Janeiro, Brazil May 2011 – June 2016
VP Resource and Reservoir Development Manager, Brazil and Corporate
Managed production, reserves, technology and seismic delivery.
• Led a multi-disciplined team and served as Operating Committee Chair for the only BP-operated producing block (Polvo Field) in Brazil, facing regulators and partners to demonstrate BP as a safe, compliant operator at a critical time for BP and new host government. Polvo generated tens of millions of USD annually, partially funding exploration; marketed and sold for $135M USD.
• Evaluated multiple development options for appraised pre-salt fields saving billions USD of at-risk capital; recommended on project risk, uncertainty, controls, mitigations, pace; led multi-disciplined team to assess several B$+ USD assets for access.
• Proposed and won senior management endorsement:
o Structure and function of executive management post re-organization
o Priorities and process to manage outside operated assets
o Discretionary capital allocation based on risk-reward and corporate goals.
DEVON ENERGY CORP., Houston, TX June 2007 - May 2011
Asset Manager - Western Hemisphere (Brazil, Angola)
Managed appraisal and development decisions on all 5 discoveries in Brazil and Angola.
• Oversaw development decisions and partner and government communication since startup of Devon’s only operated development outside North America and the first Brazilian development without Petrobras as a partner: Brazil’s Polvo Field ($1B capex, 50 MMBO, 30 MBOPD peak).
• Led Polvo development efficiency and reservoir management to exceed sanction reserves including waterflood implementation praised by management and recognized by industry (OTC 22560).
• Established appraisal strategies to minimize at-risk capital and take advantage of existing infrastructure for non-operated Brazil BC-2 (Xerelete) and Angola Block 16 (Chissonga).
• Served as Leader of “Brazil Strategic Planning Team” which maximized value of Itaipu and Wahoo pre-salt discoveries in North Campos Basin by recommending pilots and group contracting of vessels based on value of information and risk tolerance. Recommendation enthusiastically endorsed by top management.
DEVON ENERGY CORP., Houston, TX October 2005 – June 2007
Exploitation Supervisor, Project Manager - West Africa
Functioned as Equatorial Guinea (EG) Block P Appraisal Project Manager and Supervisor of distributed 40 MBOPD
• Served as Project Manager, EG Block P- Led all aspects of 2006-07 drilling campaign, commerciality declaration and formal plan of development submitted to the EG Ministry. Development plan added $100 M+ USD and 25 MMBO net to Devon.
• Managed operated and non-operated producing properties in EG (Blocks B, C, P), Cote d’Ivoire, Gabon, comprising 60% of division production at 40 MBOPD net, 75% of division producing property capital (25% of division overall capital) at over $100M USD net.
• Led the West Africa Divestiture - valued, packaged and presented to prospective buyers and host governments all producing and developing assets with sale proceeds of $2.2B+ USD.
Awards and Certifications
Professional Petroleum Engineer, State of California, No. P 1736
Certification in Project Leadership, Cornell University
Profit Center Performance
Key Focus Areas
Master of Science (M.S.), Petroleum Engineering
University of Southern California
Bachelor of Science (B.S.), Petroleum Engineering
University of Texas at Austin