A Health, Safety and Environmental (HSE/EHS) Leader offering experience in diverse oil & gas, project management / turnarounds, logistics, contractor management and military (retired AF) HSE work experience directing the development, implementation, and execution of global HSE programs across multi-site operations. Steers strategic and tactical initiatives to eliminate / minimize environmental, health, and safety risks. Serves as the subject matter expert (SME) in all HSE operations and ensures full regulatory compliance through continuous self-verification and oversight audits. Conducts ongoing data and risk analysis to identify and mitigate emerging risks and reduce the overall exposure of the organization. Builds trust and develops teams while steering strategic and tactical initiatives to achieve business objectives through optimal HSE performance.
BP - Sr HSE Advisor ‐ Upstream Logistics and Turnaround (TAR) Outages (7/2015-1/2021)
Spearheaded all HSE planning/execution deliverables for project Turnaround/Outages on four separate offshore platforms within the GoM. Identify associated risks and develop/institute plans to ensure proper planning, staffing and material management mitigations have been incorporated into risk assessments, work packs and permits to ensure safe, efficient execution of all TAR/Construction and Commissioning activities. Provide contractor management and HSE coaching/support to Logistics Marine, Aviation, and Supply Base/Trucking teams. Drive continuous improvement performing contractor field audits and site assessments to ensure a systematic oversight and conformance process is in place.
• Project Delivery/Engagement ‐Managed all HSE planning/execution of offshore Turnaround (TAR)/Project Outages for the Gulf of Mexico region; HSE focal point for partners, stakeholders, contractors, and company leadership; conducted comprehensive project orientations, contractor inductions, project scope, constructability and SIMOPS reviews; avg 20+ contractor companies and 150+ personnel per project; all safely delivered on time/budget with no major incidents or LTIs.
• Project Plans - Authored/implemented detailed scope specific HSE Philosophies, HSE Management plans and Industrial Hygiene sampling plans, Waste Management plans and Flotel Operations/Communications plans.
• Audited Operations, Equipment, Area Work Plans, Staff Members, and Contractors for proper operations, self-verification, and compliance with all HSE policies, Control of Work (CoW) requirements, OSHA, organizational protocols, local/state/federal ordinances, and industry guidelines.
• Performed QA/QC, surveillance/oversight, and pre-start-up assurance reviews in support of work packs for task clarity/constructability and proper risk id/mitigation to ensure proper close-out and documentation in accordance with completions. leak testing and commissioning.
• Initiated and Strengthened Business Partnerships with Internal/External Stakeholders (i.e. internal ops staff and third-party contractors) to promote collaboration, strengthen competencies and ultimately drive HSE performance.
• Procurement/Supply-Chain Management HSE SPA for 16 separate Logistics contractors; five Potentially High Consequence Activity (PHCA) – Authored Bridging documents, conducted site visits, field audits, and semiannual performance reviews.
• Supply Base Assurance- Led HSE effort to transition all cargo operations to a new, larger, fit-for purpose facility within port; effort increased Marine Vessel (M/V) slip size, cargo staging capacity, traffic-flow and overall safety/efficiency of ops.
• Cargo Compliance – Safely delivered YOY average of 140k deck tons of cargo; 1MM bbl. product; >500k bbl. fuel loaded at shore base; >52,000 crane and forklift lifts; 150+ Non-compliance catches and over 190 customs entries clearing over $85MM worth of cargo annually.
• Continuous Improvement effort - Cargo Container Unit (CCU) efficiency project: >$1MM saved; over 440 CCUs off hire.
• Tagline Project – led effort to eliminate rope taglines. Effort saved <$100K per year and significantly decreased risk.
• Championed Marine Vessel tank cleaning project - water re-use program; avoided 30k bbl. of wastewater disposal.
• Trucking /PAX Transport - Developed regional driving risk bowtie and barrier management strategy; Average 16,000+ truckloads of cargo; efficiently delivered through four separate contract carriers.
• Assisted development of new passenger carry contract; safely transport over 3,000+ personnel per/yr.
• Aviation Assurance ‐ Actively managed Helicopter operations provider to safely and efficiently deliver over 25K workers/per yr offshore without incident including numerous short notice hurricane evacuation/remobilization efforts.
• Helideck inspection – co-developed company program to ensure systematic conformance across region.
• Marine Assurance ‐ Authored M/V contractor bridging docs/gap assessments for four “term” vessel contract awards.
• Carbon reduction; - new M/V fuel tracking technology and strategy of “best economy” saved $418.35K in diesel fuel costs and realized 2019.2(24%) CO2 Tons Carbon reduction.
• Human Performance/Human Factors (HP/HF) Champion – recognized as a trainer/coach adept at raising awareness and driving HP improvement through risk assessment, investigation and task improvement processes.
• Established new Human Performance Community of Practice (CoP) – lead Oil & Gas industry forum on HP/HF.
• Global Operations Modernization & Transformation Champion – coach on developing strategies and initiatives and mindset changes driving new ways of work and promoting innovation and technology to evolve to a truly agile workforce.
• Global Safety Observation & Conversation (SOC) Instructor ‐ taught leaders how to have skillful and meaningful conversations when testing risk mitigation and barrier strength associated with in-progress work scopes.
• Coach TAR/asset Managers and offshore leadership to drive continuous improvement of BBS/engagement programs.
• Incident Management Team (IMT) Safety Officer ‐ Actively served at the Command Staff level on regional IMT - led HSE team through multiple major full‐functional exercises, hurricane evacs and COVID response.
BP - Engineering Services HSE Advisor ‐ Turnaround (TAR) and Construction (10/2012 – 7/2015)
• Twice awarded BP’s Circle of Distinction Award for both One Team (2014) and Safety (2015).
• Established Global TAR/Outage HSE Community of Practice (CoP) – Quarterly meetings to discuss and share emerging risks, mitigations, identify trends and promote best practices and proven strategies.
• Developed new Capital Value Process (CVP) for TAR HSE Management Plan template – efforts lauded as “best Practice” and adopted for use globally by company TAR HSE CoP.
• Global TAR Peer Reviews – Twice selected as TAR HSE SME to perform on-site FEL stage-gate assessments of the Trinidad Immortelle and Cashima Turnarounds – identified gaps and closure plans facilitated safe execution of projects.
• Contractor Training Matrix - Worked with Assurance Team to identify and refine competency requirements for contractors to be maintained in ISNet/Ariba and further validated against company requirements. Efforts resulted in the systematic identification of mandatory and suggested training competencies supporting 200 crafts.
• Return to Scene (R2S) – Implemented new site visualization technology into risk assessment, constructability review planning process increasing clarity and accuracy of planning with reduced demand on POB due to offshore site visits.
• Performed Global HSE Risk Assessments – led risk evaluation/mitigation and employment HSE and Contractor Management effort in support of company establishment of new Logistics Supply-bases in Nova Scotia and Mexico.
• Managed HSE/Flotel Ops for multiple Fabric Maintenance (FM) campaigns – incident free daily transfer of workforce throughout campaigns facilitated critical mitigations of integrity management issues extending life of aging offshore assets.
• Tested Emergency Response Plans for success in managing CoW incidents and implemented task-based risk assessments in adherence with the firm’s RA guidelines.
- - Prior work history includes BP (2011-12): Safety Programs HSE Advisor, Dept of Energy/Strategic Petroleum Reserve: EHS Advisor, Military USAF (ret): Satellite Communications (SATCOM) Project/Facility Safety Manager
Awards and Certifications
Certified Safety Professional (CSP - 26565)
Project Management Professional (PMP – 1776458)
Develops and Deploys Health and Safety Systems ~ Offshore HSE Site Lead, Project execution/commissioning ~ Control of Work Procedures ~ Permitting ~ Develops Project Plans ~ Assesses and Reduces HSE Hazards ~ Audits/Self Verification ~ L1/L2 HITRA ~ Promotes Safety Awareness ~ Industrial Hygiene/Sampling ~ Compliance with all Local/State/Federal Regulations ~ Reporting/Tracking ~ Resource Management/Allocation ~ Delivers Safety Training/Orientations ~ Contractor Management ~ Develops Corrective Action Plans ~ Talent Management ~ OSHA ~ PPE ~ Workers Compensation ~ Contract Reviews ~ Incident Investigations ~ Emergency Planning/Preparation
Training: Project Management Leadership • Project Management Constructability • Project Management Scope Control
Quality Management in Projects • OSHA 30 Hr Construction • OSHA 10 Hr General Industry
Transportation Workers Identification Card (TWIC) • T-HUET Water Survival • Safety Observation Conversations (SOC)
Fundamentals of Industrial Hygiene • Hazard Identification and Task Risk Assessment (HITRA) • Process Safety
Energy Isolation/ LOTO • ISSOW Permit to Work • Control of Work (CoW) Academy • OHSAS 18001 • ISO 9001/14001
40 Hr HAZWOPER • Confined Space Competent Person • Working at Heights/Fall Protection • Scaffold Competent Person
Qualified Crane Operator • Qualified Rigger • Incident Investigation • HAZOP/HAZID/LOPA
Incident Command System–Operations / Safety Officer ˆContinuous Improvement (CI)
Bachelor of Science: Occupational Safety and Health - University of Central Missouri, Warrensburg MO
Associates Degree: Electronic Systems Technology - Community College of the Air Force, Maxwell AFB, AL
Associates Certificate: Project Management - George Washington University, Washington D.C.
Air Force Specialty Course: Satellite, Wideband and Telemetry Systems - Keesler AFB, MS