As an IT Business Analyst, I will deliver quality solutions built upon solid foundation of business analysis and design expertise, customer and product focus, and enhanced team performance via servant leadership and agile practices.
Core competencies: Business Cases, Project Planning, Requirements, Business Processes, Data Analysis, Data Interfaces, User Interfaces, Software Development, User Acceptance Testing and Training.
Advocates Agile, Scrum, Kanban, Design Thinking, Storyboarding, Prototypes and Continuous Improvement.
Certifications: Business Analysis, Product Owner, Scaled Agile Product Owner, Scrum Master and Coach.
Greater Houston, TX
SHELL TRADING US COMPANY, Houston, TX 1999 - 2018
Senior Business Analyst
Project Business Analyst for oil trading systems and data interfaces; subject matter expert (SME) for contracts, derivatives, nominations, ticketing and settlements pricing.
North America Oil Trading and Operations – Projects 2016 - 2018
Led business analysis for projects, proof of concepts and business cases. Coordinated department continuous improvement and business analyst development initiatives.
Microsoft Office 365 Rollout - Worldwide to 7500 Shell Trading PC’s
Recruited by project manager on limited budget and time line to upgrade delayed rollout effort. Facilitated smooth rollout on-time with minimal effects saving $21.1 million in business and IT project interruption costs.
• Increased customer satisfaction, and reduced incidents by over 70%, through timely communications, upgraded web site content and special requests monitoring.
• Created management status reports by aggregating data from multiple sources utilizing SQL and MS Excel.
• Set standard for subsequent desktop software rollouts through documented processes and training.
Motiva Exiting Shell Partnership - $2.2 Billion Project’s Initial Scoping and Planning
Enabled timely and thorough market impact analyses after generating monthly supply and demand volumes, including contractual obligations, for each acquired Motiva property’s line of products.
• Partnered with business SME’s to identify $22.3 million of new commercial opportunities and cost savings not realized in existing business models.
• Provided key project plan input for integrating acquired Motiva properties into Shell Trading systems.
Global Supply Excellence’s Demand Planning – Americas IT Support Upgrade
Developed business case and implementation plan with business SME’s and IT support lead for enhanced demand planning systems support, and $350,500 per year cost savings, during tight budget period.
• Increased demand planners’ customer satisfaction by decreasing support request response times 50 to 75%.
• Enhanced support request queue transparency through new continuous improvement methods.
Blueprint Products Project - Trading CAP Contract and Confirmation Interfaces 2015 - 2016
Blueprint Projects: $2 billion cost for major energy trading risk management (ETRM) systems upgrades.
Designed 5 contract, derivative and confirmation interfaces. Led integration testing and defect management for 10 deal interfaces. Facilitated user acceptance testing: assisted business SME’s in constructing 35-plus complex, end-to-end test cases, monitored deal activity and managed defects.
• Contributed $607,000 in development, testing and re-work cost savings; recognized by management for:
• Complete, complex interface designs yielding 35% less defects.
• Quick reference roadmaps tracking multiple deal types through multiple data interfaces and destinations.
• Time savings gained through active contract monitoring during end-to-end user acceptance testing.
Global SAP Project – US Fuels - Supply-Trading Interface – Operations 2012 - 2014
Global SAP Project: $8 billion cost; US Fuels - Supply–Trading Interface: $10 million cost.
Designed ticket interfaces and ticket dashboard UI. Managed ticketing software development, integration testing, user acceptance testing and production release activities.
• Delivered on accelerated and strict project timeline by reducing requirements, design and development timeline by 30% through SME knowledge, data analysis expertise and servant leadership.
• Contributed $855,000 in development, testing and re-work cost savings; recognized by management for:
• Complete data interface designs; visual models and data mappings yielding 40% less defects.
• Managing parallel, offshore ticketing integration testing during joint London and India business hours.
• Production release utilizing complex SQL to identify problematic tickets.
Global Trading and Supply Projects - Lead Business Analyst 2006 - 2012
• Advised as Trading CAP landscape and interfaces SME for Endur (ETRM) crude oil.
• Designed deal, operations and settlements interfaces, and master reference data structures, for Endur oil products. Delivered 7 behind-schedule interface designs on-time.
North America Projects - Design Lead 2000 - 2006
• Led team of 5 for crude oil, contract deal entry’s major upgrade.
• Designed Trading processes, data structures and interfaces for auto-generating detailed deal pricing.
• Created complex UI, master reference data and data interface designs for multiple Endur-related projects.
Awards and Certifications
Certified Business Analysis Professional (CBAP), International Institute of Business Analysis (IIBA), 2016
Certified Scrum Product Owner (CSPO), Scrum Alliance, 2017
Certified Scrum Master (CSM), Scrum Alliance, 2016
Agile Certified Coach (ICP-ACC), International Consortium for Agile (ICAgile), 2018
Scaled Agile Framework Product Owner/Product Manager (SAFe PO/PM), Scaled Agile, 2020
International Institute of Business Analysis (IIBA), Houston Chapter Board Member, 2017 – Present
Houston Agile Leadership Network, Volunteer, 2017 – Present
The Job Hackers, Agile MBA, 2020
Agile Alliance, Scrum Alliance, Scrum.org,
Houston Agile, Houston Scaled Agile Framework, Houston Design Thinking & Innovation,
Houston Product Community, Product Camp
Business Requirements (Functional, Non-Functional), Requirements Gathering, Visual Modeling, Unified Modeling Language (UML), Process Modeling, Data Analysis, Data Modeling, Data Interface Design, Design Thinking, User Interface (UI) Design, Storyboarding, Prototyping
Scrum, Kanban, Product Owner, Product Backlog, User Stories, Scrum Master, Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe), Agile Coaching
Project Management, Business Cases, Project Planning, Business Process Improvement, Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC), Quality Assurance (QA; Planning, Testing, Management), Change Management, Production Release
Servant Leadership, Knowledge Sharing, Lifelong Learning, Analytical Thinking, Problem Solving, Stakeholder Management, Facilitation, Continuous Improvement, Decision Intelligence, Documentation, Presentations, Training, Mentoring, Coaching
Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), Microsoft Visio,
Azure DevOps Boards, Jira, Mural
MBA, Management Information Systems, State University of New York, Binghamton
MA in Applied Economics, State University of New York, Binghamton
BA, Economics - Finance Concentration, State University of New York, College at Fredonia