Manaker, David M.
Senior Exploration Geologist | Senior Geoscientist | Exploration and Appraisal Geologist | Structural Geologist
Applied geoscientist with extensive experience across the upstream value chain. Proven track record of integrating across disciplines to deliver oil & gas resources. International experience in joint ventures, managing stakeholders and collaborating across cultures and borders. Flexible and adaptable, delivering significant contributions within a team or as a shared resource.
Houston, Texas USA
BP Americas New Ventures Exploration / Access Geologist 2020 – 2021
Contributed key components to strategic decisions for high-margin resources in Latin America.
• Delivered structural-tectonic study for 6 licenses of 38000 km2 in offshore Peru, compiling studies from a wide variety of sources, and recommending decision on further exploration work.
• Supported the technical evaluation of farm-in opportunities of 5 blocks for offshore Guyana / Suriname, leading to access recommendations.
• Supported technical evaluation of offshore Trinidad & Tobago for future exploration activities.
Yermak Neftegaz LLC Exploration / Appraisal Geologist / Technology Manager 2016 - 2020
Launched new joint venture company as secondee to expand exploration activity in Russia and add significant resources to JV partner portfolios.
• Delivered regional analysis and risking, evaluated over 30 license blocks in multiple basins, presented recommendations to partners. Managed existing licenses and recommended exploration programs accounting for key business drivers.
• Coordinated exploration activity for target areas larger than the United Kingdom, led workshops with partners to estimate resources, uncertainties and risks. Created a multi billion barrel prospect inventory, recommended areas for licensing, and planned exploration and appraisal programs in support of investment decisions
• Planned and executed submission of 5-year plans to Rosneft, leading team to deliver technical program and cost forecasts for 6 licenses and 1 field under appraisal.
• Managed 16 technical service contracts from proposal to delivery, providing technical guidance and review of work, delivering 100% of contracts on-time and within budget.
• Authored internal technical standards for exploration / appraisal work in the JV.
BP New Ventures Exploration / Access Geologist 2013 – 2016
Contributed key components to regional evaluations for exploration and development in N America and Gulf of Mexico (GoM). Delivered prospect focused products for evaluation and drill or drop decisions.
• Delivered regional studies and new play concepts in US and Mexican GoM, receiving Commendation for 2014 GoM regional study. Created a database of over 16,000 structural elements that significantly improved understanding of basin to help focus exploration on high-graded areas.
• Supported evaluations for 6 prospects in GoM and Brazil with resources >1.6 billion barrels, planned wells and data acquisition programs. Contributed to portfolio and activity reviews, analyzed competitor activity and advised on strategy.
• Promoted technical standards, developed talent through delivery of training and mentoring, participated on advisory boards, and led structural geology discipline programs.
BP GoM Exploration Exploration Structural Geologist 2010 – 2013
Planned, executed, and delivered integrated evaluations in the GoM and provided technical support for other teams.
• Delivered key components of integrated evaluations of prospects near infrastructure with high profit potential, including seismic interpretation and attribute analyses, well analysis, resource estimation, evaluation of risks and uncertainties, and well planning.
• Provided technical support / quality assurance for evaluation of 8 prospects with a combined pre-drill resource of 1.5 billion barrels, including structural framework and fault analysis, structural restorations, and tectonic models for petroleum systems modeling.
BP E&P Subsurface Support Structural Geologist Specialist 2010 – 2008
Provided technical support to upstream assets, supporting a wide range of activities in a variety of basins and environments.
• Delivered structural / tectonic analysis for Russian Arctic including regional restorations for trap and source maturity to support decisions.
• Performed fault network and seal analysis to assess compartmentalization and help field development in GoM. Influenced development decisions with 2D and 3D structural restorations of fields under appraisal and development.
• Investigated new play concepts for renewal and provided well analysis in N America.
BP GoM Production Production Geologist 2007 – 2008
Delivered integrated evaluations for development / production. Performed 3D reservoir mapping using seismic interpretation and attribute analysis / AVO, estimated resources, and updated reservoir models.
• Produced Catchment Area Strategy for Nakika platform with economic analysis, strategic reservoir management, and optimization of production. Prepared documentation for area unitization.
• Provided competitor analysis, monitored activity and well results to de-risk the portfolio and influence future development strategy.
• Portfolio development for leads / prospects / Portfolio management / ranking / risking / prioritization for drilling
• Frontier play analyses, basin regional studies, infrastructure-led exploration
• Prospect maturation and well planning
• 2D and 3D seismic interpretation, seismic facies / attribute analysis / AVO
• Structural geology expertise (fault seal / fault network analysis, 2D and 3D structural restorations, regional and local tectonic analysis, potential fields)
• Petrel, GeoProbe, SeisWorks, HampsonRussell, Crystal Ball, ArcGIS, TrapTester, Move, Matlab
• Russian language (upper-level)
Post-doctoral researcher, Purdue University
Ph.D., University of California, Davis - Geology and Geophysics
M.S., University of California, Davis - Geology and Geophysics
B.S., University of Michigan - Geological Oceanography