Senior Drilling Engineer
Apply Drilling Engineering, Optimization, and Data Analytics Expertise to Drive Company Initiatives
CHEVRON ENERGY TECHNOLOGY COMPANY, Houston, TX 2018 – 2020
Senior Drilling Engineer
Provided technical services unconventional operations covering several projects: Argentina (Vaca Muerta reservoir), Mid Continent (Wolf Camp reservoir), and Pennsylvania (Marcellus and Utica reservoirs).
• Decreased cycle times 20% and well cost 15% by developing and analyzing drilling system components (bit, BHA, drive system), identifying and remediating drilling dysfunctions, and parameters ranges optimization.
• Achieved measurable operating efficiency and gained strong track record in analysis and development of application solutions and performance strategies, technology development study and evaluations.
• Developed optimization execution training material and coached field personnel and real time center personnel, building fluency in performance drilling as measured by improved cycle times and well cost reduction.
• Represented Chevron to EnQuest in Heather Decommissioning project (UK NOJV). Proposed rig-less plugged and abandonment, potentially reducing cost 30% compared to rig spread rate. Introduced new technology control cutter for topside decommissioning, decreasing operational time.
QUANTUM RESERVOIR IMPACT (QRI, LLC), Houston, TX 2017-2018
Drilling & Completion Engineering Advisor
Delivered technical recommendations and alternative technologies for Pemex’s unconventional (Chicontepec shale reservoir) and offshore projects. Counseled in technical reviews at various clients’ projects, including Adnoc and Ecopetrol.
• Saved $14 million by optimizing wellbore trajectories, bit, BHA, drive system, improving hole cleaning, and sharing best practices.
• Delivered $2 million cost savings, 9 days ahead of time for Pemex’s offshore exploration project in Gulf of Mexico by Incorporating new Power Drive ICE Rotary Steerable System.
HESS CORPORATION, Houston, TX and Equatorial Guinea, West Africa 2011 – 2016
Senior Performance Drilling Engineer, Houston, TX 2014 –2016
Supplied technical support for deep water Gulf of Mexico (Stampede project) and unconventional (Bakken project), optimized BHA, bit, drive system, and parameters ranges. Performed benchmarking, utilized KPI, compared against visible benchmarks, identified performance enhancing measures, and recommended solutions.
• Reduced cycle times in Stampede project 18% and Bakken project 15% by optimizing BHA design and bit selection, operating in prescribed parameters ranges.
• Enhanced Petrolink drilling visual, allowing user to easily calibrate actual against model and take prompt action to avoid stuck pipe incident.
Senior Drilling Engineer, Equatorial Guinea, West Africa 2011 –2014
Prepared drilling program, AFE generation, developed Basis of Design, and managed change. Performed root cause analysis, led risk assessment, pre-spud, hole section preview, lookback review, and end of well report. Maintained global guidelines, standards, lessons learned, and best practices.
• Achieved first quartile Rushmore drilling performance on highly deviated deep-water wells with challenging reactive shale, benchmarking with less than 10% NPT and actual well costs less than 10% over than wells’ AFE.
• Recognized for longest footage run when drilling 12-1/4” hole in South Africa TLP drilling campaign with single BHA run.
• Brought down sidetrack incidents from 50% to 16% and downhole tool failure in Phase 2 campaign by redesigning BHA component, utilizing hole enlargement, and optimizing water phase salinity in challenging reactive shale formation.
• Planned GOM deep water relief well design, logistics, and ensured constant communications with regulatory.
CHEVRON ENERGY TECHNOLOGY COMPANY, Houston, TX 2006 – 2011
Performance Drilling Engineer
Delivered in-depth drilling performance analysis to improve performance in unconventional, conventional, and deep-water asset classes, including Angola, Nigeria, Australia, Mid Continent, Indonesia, China, Canada, and Argentina.
• Accomplished 76% faster ROP in drilling 26” salt section in deep water Gulf of Mexico, while maintaining borehole verticality, single BHA run, and vibration control.
• Cut down cycle time in Argentina project when drilling 8-1/2” section from average of 40 days to 12.5 days by redesigning drilling system (bit, BHA, drive system), and recommending parameters ranges.
• Reduced cycle time in Nigeria project 8 days in challenging basement (igneous rock) drilling, changing hole size from 6” to 8-1/2” hole, new bit, and BHA design.
• Published 5 technical papers: 2 in Society Petroleum Engineers (SPE), 2 in International Association of Drilling Contractors (IADC), and 1 in Offshore Technology Company (OTC).
Awards and Certifications
• Chevron Human Energy Award for coaching Drilling Optimization Execution training for field and real time center personnel and building drilling optimization fluency.
• Chevron Human Energy Award for leading Chevron Asian Heritage Festival as part of diversity and inclusion.
• Chevron-BP Training Alliance Special Recognition Award for coaching Drilling Engineering and Well Planning course for drilling engineers, supervisors, and superintendents from 2009 to 2011.
• Unocal Special Recognition Award for developing Christmas Tree Best Practices and leading training for maintenance.
Chevron: Influential Leadership Program, Digital Rockstar, Agile, MaxDrill certified
Vector International: Lean Six Sigma Green Belt certified
PMI: Project Management Professional (PMP) certified
Technical Training: Well Control Supervisor Level Surface Stack certified (IADC), Extended Reached Drilling (K&M), Drillbench and DrillPlan (Schlumberger), Managed Pressure and Underbalanced Drilling (Blade Energy)
Unconventional, Conventional, and Deep-Water Drilling | Well Design | BHA Design | Bit Selection | Optimization | Decommissioning | Directional | Extended Reached | Wellbore Stability | Six Sigma | Data Analytics
Strong interpersonal communications skills, excellent team player working with other disciplines in change management and leading projects delivery. Effective problem solver, taking analytical approach, developing innovative solutions and strategies to establish quantifiable unparalleled improvements in cycle time.
• Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX
• Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering, Bandung Institute of Technology, Bandung, Indonesia