Petroleum reservoir engineer with 25+ years of experience forecasting reservoir behavior and supporting programs designed to maximize oil and gas recovery and investment returns for Fortune 500 exploration and production companies. Seeking to continue delivering excellent technical support to organizations and teams facing challenging reservoir development problems.
Specialized in reservoir modeling/ reservoir simulation, well testing, and reservoir fluids PVT analysis for a central role in field appraisal, development planning, and production optimization. Expert in the use of commercial reservoir simulation and modeling packages including CMG, Eclipse, VIP, Nexus, GeoSim, Kappa, and PETEX.
Provided technical analysis to rationalize field developments for conventional and unconventional plays in the DJ, Powder River, Permian, Gulf of Mexico, Persian Gulf, Western Canadian, and Berkine Basins. Detailed cost effective recovery schemes including primary, water-flood, miscible gas injection, and multi-fractured horizontal wells, to maximize hydrocarbon recovery.
Used physics-based fracture and reservoir modeling with multivariate analysis in novel ways to forecast field performance and create elegant well spacing and completion designs that reduced production cost and improved commercial metrics.
I am passionate about the practice of reservoir engineering, especially the careful and proper application of reservoir simulation, to reveal unique stories told by the dynamics of petroleum reservoirs. With an exacting attention to detail, I employ fit-for-purpose workflows to provide insights and help teams create innovative and practical designs for realizing the resource potential of these systems.
OCCIDENTAL PETROLEUM CORPORATION | Denver, CO • Sep 2019–Dec 2019
Sr. Reservoir Engineering Advisor
Applied results of reservoir management - well spacing & completion optimization - field studies to build a high-return drilling and completions program for the Wattenberg Field Niobrara/ Denver-Julesburg Basin play. Partnered with geoscience, drilling, completions, production, planning, and management to build consensus and create improved development plans.
● Provided technical foundation for improved design of 240 wells (mixed length) totaling +$1B in capex with projected 50 million BOE. Improved financial ROR of all wells to at least 50%, applying new design process to adjust completion volumes at Drilling Spacing Unit level (6-18 wells) based on local geology, reservoir fluid type, well spacing and well stacking pattern.
● Trained 20 subsurface technical staff on reservoir characterization, reservoir simulation, field optimization, and reservoir fluids management for Rockies assets.
ANADARKO PETROLEUM CORPORATION | Global • Jun 2002–Aug 2019
Sr. Reservoir Engineering Advisor | Denver, CO • Sep 2012–Aug 2019
Appointed lead technical reservoir engineer for Wattenberg Niobrara field in the Denver-Julesburg Basin encompassing 1500 operated horizontal wells and an active drilling program with a $1B, 300-well (5000-ft equivalent) annual budget. Pioneered reservoir simulation workflows integrating hydraulic fracturing and reservoir depletion processes for improved well spacing, stacking, and completion design. Developed the company’s first multi-well, multi-target dynamic model to understand drilling-completion-reservoir interactions. Provided production forecasts in support of development planning, economic evaluation and optimization, and annual reserves reports.
● Built reservoir models to optimize drilling programs to meet sustained demand of 200 Mboe/d under the assigned budget.
● Coordinated well tests, reservoir pressure surveys, and reservoir fluid PVT characterization program across Rockies assets, providing fundamental data for geoscience, engineering, and planning workflows.
● Created, with reservoir characterization team, a design workflow adapted by DJ Basin business unit to plan its 250-well annual drilling and completion program. The technique was extended to the Powder River and Delaware Basins.
● Detailed a comprehensive reservoir development plan for a 30 sqm field extension by collecting appropriate data, constructing fit-for-purpose models, and evaluating simulated performance for several alternative developments. The final design used 8 wells/section with 45 to 55 bbl/ft completion fluid loading
● Interpreted a focused collection of stimulation, production, and downhole pressure data in a 640-acre project with 15 legacy vertical wells and 4 new horizontal wells, leading to an improved understanding of hydraulic fracture characterization in 3D and over time.
● Taught reservoir fluids characterization and reservoir simulation skills to +50 engineers, geologists, and managers. Mentored and collaborated with reservoir engineers in Denver, Midland, and Houston.
● Represented the company in Colorado School of Mines research programs and served as onshore reservoir engineering SME for company-wide engineering competency initiative.
Project Reservoir Engineering Advisor | Houston, TX • Jul 2004–Aug 2012
Conducted field development planning and optimization studies for Deep-Water assets in the Gulf of Mexico. Pioneered and standardized coupled subsurface-surface modeling routine that improved design capabilities on GoM and Mozambique projects. Designed flow test to appraise Lucius Field and reservoir simulation models to support its initial plan of development.
● Helped secure approval for Lucius Field $4B investment in 80 Mb/d Spar facility for 300 MMboe resource target.
● Added 16 MMbbl to net proved reserves for K2 Field; recommended riser gas as optimal artificial lift solution and backed cancellation of the Nitrogen Injection project in favor of water flood process, reducing cost and risk profile.
● Coordinated Al Rayyan Field development opportunities; recommended 5 new wells for 12 MMbbl increase in reserves.
● Led International Exploration Team appraisal and development projects in the Middle East carbonate, North American Arctic fluvial, and Gulf of Mexico turbidite systems.
● Provided internal consulting as part of the Corporate Technology team: contributed to Wyoming EOR – CO2 injection design, Gulf of Mexico development plans, Indonesia exploration evaluations, and Ghana discovery pre-development forecasting.
● Facilitated Reservoir Engineering company forum. Taught and mentored on data acquisition, PVT properties, analytical reservoir engineering, and reservoir simulation.
● Appointed Anadarko’s representative on DeepStar joint industry reservoir engineering committee. Piloted new reservoir simulation software and hardware systems.
Sr. Staff Reservoir Engineer – Anadarko | Calgary, Alberta 2002–2004
Staff Reservoir Engineer – Anadarko | Houston, TX Pre 2000
Sr. Reservoir Engineer – Anadarko | London, United Kingdom Pre 2000
Reservoir Engineer – Anadarko | Houston, TX Pre 2000
Production Engineer – Amoco Production Company | Houston, TX Pre 2000
Awards and Certifications
Registered Professional Engineer (PE) – State of Texas #84628; State of Colorado #0056710, State of Wyoming #17868
Well performance Analysis
Pressure Transient Analysis
Rate Transient Analysis
Reservoir Fluids Characterization
Enhanced Oil Recovery
Master of Science, Petroleum Engineering – The University of Houston
Bachelor of Science, Petroleum Engineering – The University of Texas at Austin
Bachelor of Arts, Plan II Honors (Liberal Arts) – The University of Texas at Austin