Instrumentation and Control Engineer: Solution-oriented Professional Engineer with experience in conceptual, FEED and Detail Engineering projects for the oil and gas industries (onshore / offshore). Recognized for possessing strong analytical, decision-making and communication skills. Proficient knowledge and understanding of national and international codes and standards. Seeking to leverage skills and experience to improve efficiency and accuracy of engineering activities.
TECHNIPFMC, Houston, TX, USA 07/2011 – 11/2020
Principal Instrumentation Engineer
Collaborated with department manager to prepare budgetary estimates and man-hour estimates. Specified control systems and safety instrumented systems. Supported continues improvement of engineering activities by establishing design criteria and updating job specifications for instruments, process analyzers, fire and gas detectors.
• Identified, developed and implemented work instructions and job procedures use by engineering and design teams to generate project deliverables.
• Provided technical direction and oversight of project activities, working with contractor to ensure timely delivery of data and other deliverables, as well as coordination of technical request of information.
• Created and maintained drawings and design packages of control systems, such as loop diagrams, wiring drawings, installation details, control logic, etc.
• Built in-house tools to calculate orifice plate bore, size control valves and relief valves.
• Coordinated with subject matter expert to design, specify and purchase process analyzer
packages including buildings/shelters.
• Participated in design reviews with clients, suppliers and/or contractors to develop and
implement best instrumentation design.
• Identified and ensured effective application of correct design codes such as ISA, API, etc.
• Established KPIs to measure the effectiveness of engineering activities.
• Worked with engineering and design teams to assist solving technical issues.
• Reduced cable waste during the installation of instruments at construction site.
• Commissioned and troubleshooted instrumentation devices.
• Prepared instrumentation construction packages and evaluated completeness of activities.
TECHNIP SERVICIOS DE MEXICO, Monterrey, N.L., Mexico 11/2008 – 06/2011
Senior Instrumentation Engineer
Supervised the engineering and design activities for a Sulfur Recovery Unit Project located in Salamanca, Mexico.
• Leaded instrumentation engineering/design activities and supported electrical, mechanical, civil and piping teams from requirements through final design.
• Updated engineering specifications, procedures and practices to keep them up-to-date with recent technological developments.
• Worked with all engineering teams to develop strategies for long term project success.
• Specified instrumentation for skid packages and evaluated vendor proposals for compliance
with project requirements.
• Provided technical directions and guidance to engineers in applicable design standards.
• Prepared engineering progress reports dealing with design and construction activities
associated with assigned projects.
• Provided technical support, mentoring and training to junior engineers.
KBR MEXICO, Monterrey, N.L., Mexico 05/2008 – 10/2008
Supported the modeling of instruments and valves for a FPSO project located in Angola; prepared instrument installation details and extracted location plans from model.
• Coordinated with design team to prepare instrument location plans and installation details.
• Provided input to the 3D model for the allocation of instruments and participated in model
design review meetings.
• Reviewed vendor documents to ensure project specification requirements were met.
PYCOPSA, S.A. DE C.V., Tampico, Tamps., Mexico 06/2005 – 04/2008
Specified telecommunications equipment for voice, data and paging services. Designed CCTV system for process monitoring and plant security. Designed Motor Control Center based on electrical load provided in equipment list.
• Prepared instrument specifications and generated instrument datasheets.
• Evaluated technical proposals from suppliers.
• Drafted wiring drawings, loop diagrams and instrument location plans.
• Prepared instrument cable schedule and bill of materials.
Awards and Certifications
Texas License Professional Engineer
• Texas Licensed Professional Engineer
• Comprehensive understanding of engineering, procurement and construction process
• Knowledgeable of control systems / safety instrumented systems
• Supervise and coordinate engineering / design activities
• Proficient in NEC, ISA, API, AGA, ISO, IEC codes and standards
• Conduct and facilitate decision making process
• Excellent problem solving and troubleshooting skills
• Experience performing root cause analysis
• Strong communication, coordinating and teamwork skills
• High attention to detail, self-directed with excellent organizational skills
BS, Electronics Engineering | Instituto Tecnologico de Cd. Victoria, Mexico
MS, Industrial Applications and Control Specialty (degree pending) | Instituto Tecnologico de Cd. Madero, Mexico