Benitez, Andres M
Highly analytical, data-driven, customer-centric drilling engineer with twenty (20) years of professional experience. Fifteen (15) years in the energy industry, successfully leading technical projects from initiation to closing; leveraging business success through critical assessment, data analytics, forensic analysis, process optimization and methodical implementations. Extensive experience fostering customer relationships and integrating cost-effective solutions. Strong knowledge on development of business cases and involvement in the initial stages of product development. Technical expertise in drilling engineering, operations and optimization. Five (5) additional years of experience in data networks and communications, working for a US DoS contractor, managing IT communications infrastructure projects and deployments in remote areas in South America. Team player with excellent communication skills, high quality of work, driven and self-motivated. Hold an MBA with entrepreneurial focus and a project management (PMP) certification.
2016 – 2020 – PV Fluid Products
Drilling Applications Advisor/PV Fluid Products, Houston, Texas
• Founding member of the new and improved drilling applications engineering team, which was created as the prime competition differentiator to thrive for sales and establish technical-trusted customer relationships.
• Developed, planned, and executed several projects of diverse complexity for the sales and marketing group. Most notable examples are a drilling data analytics platform with geo-location, the automation of product testing reports, the development of digital tools that leveraged timely insight into market conditions and trends of power sections development and applications.
• Created tracking and optimization tools that aid in the continuous improvement processes of the manufacturing plant, supply chain and sales teams.
• Actively involved in R&D engineering reviews of new power section designs and built business cases for new design concepts.
• Improved and managed the service quality incident process, including managing the internal and external ISO audits to the process.
• Implemented the FMEA process for our service quality incident program as part of the monitoring and controlling quality efforts.
• In charge of managing the technical needs of several key customer accounts including the RCA failure analysis for their service/product complaints.
• Extensive technical engagement with customers whose primary focus of operation was horizontal shale drilling in the Eagle Ford, Permian and Haynesville basins.
2006 – 2015 – Baker Hughes
Sr. Drilling Optimization Engineer/Baker Hughes, Houston, Texas – Nov. 2013 – Oct. 2015
• Drilling engineering advisor for North America. Member of a global elite team that supported regional engineering teams with optimization projects of higher complexity.
• Successfully managed drilling optimization projects from initiation to closing, leading cross-functional teams, for high-caliber operators in Permian, Mid-Con and California. Planning, monitoring of risk and implementation of risk responses were key to the success of the projects. Scope, risk, procurement, and stakeholder engagement was effectively managed. Project scopes included the development and support of solutions that would either break or mitigate a detrimental/damaging trend of the drilling process or improve drilling performance by minimizing non-productive time and, on certain occasions, push the technical limit. Successful completion of the projects translated into thousands of dollars in savings.
• Areas of expertise included drilling performance assessment and optimization (Remote, Real-time, and post-well), wellbore construction and BHA design, drilling and formation evaluation tools and systems (PDM & RSS), drilling dynamics, drilling engineering and forensics analysis.
• As part of the green belt lean six-sigma certification process, started the initiative on our team to integrate these concepts in the conventional drilling optimization process.
• Collaborated with business development Mgrs, engineering and sales teams to develop customized solutions for top-tier customers.
• Actively participated in the creation of the drilling engineering group that supported customers based in Dallas. Led the team through the start-up process.
• Mentoring of younger engineers.
Applications Engineer/Baker Hughes, Bakersfield, California – Apr. 2009 – Oct. 2013
• Part of the operation’s team that oversaw the drilling activity in the west coast geo-market. Primary role was to provide cost-efficient and technically sound drilling solutions for the different drilling application challenges. Position required constant interaction with the operator’s geology and drilling teams.
• Day to day activities involved well planning, anti-collision analysis, BHA design, Torque & drag and hydraulics modeling, vibration mitigation planning, bit selection, mud program and drilling program reviews.
• Provided drilling optimization services to key customers in the region. Participated in a successful project with a top-tier California offshore operator, requiring remote monitoring to provide real-time optimization feedback.
• Last 18 months of tenure were spent as in-house drilling applications engineer for Occidental (OXY) of Elk Hills.
Lead Field Service Engineer/Baker Hughes, Bakersfield, California – Jun. 2006 – Sep. 2009
• Measuring/Logging While Drilling (MWD/LWD) Engineer assigned to the west coast geo-market. Gained valuable experience working under strict safety protocols and amid high-dollar equipment in a rugged environment at the drilling rig sites of top-tier operators.
• Strong knowledge and hands-on experience in directional drilling operations and processes such as BHA design and analysis, mud motors and rotary steerable systems, pressure management, drilling dynamics, underbalanced drilling, geothermal applications and complex 3D well designs due to extremely sensitive anti-collision challenges.
• Specialized as a field drilling dynamics engineer, spending the last two years working primarily in real-time optimization, streaming key downhole drilling parameters to mitigate and manage vibration and avoid drilling dysfunctions on the spot.
2001 – 2005 – Dyncorp International, LLC (USA Co.) - SIL
IT Field Infrastructure Coordinator/DynCorp International, LLC, Bogota, Colombia
• Team lead of five IT professionals maintaining full connectivity to home base in Florida US, coordinating up to six (6) different field infrastructure deployments at the same time, in several remote areas across Colombia.
• Coordinated schedules, resources, communications, and logistics for deployments and managed and maintained the operations of the data network in Colombia.
• Oversaw the network activity of Colombia’s segment of a larger data network, including 5 servers (DC, Exchange, SQL), 250+ workstations and 800+ end-users in two (2) fixed operating bases (FOB) and six (6) Forward Operation Locations (FOL) teams.
• Initiated, Planned, and implemented several projects of small and medium complexity raging from a VSAT relocation to the implementation of a multi-site network.
• Administrated and supported a Windows/Cisco-based data and VoIP network in a multi-site, overseas environment, having to deal with the insufficient technological/infrastructural resources available in a third-world country.
Awards and Certifications
Project Management Certified (PMP) - Project Management Institute
SCRUM Fundamentals Certified (SFC) - SCRUMStudy.org
Drilling operations and optimization • Drilling forensics analysis • Drill string and BHA design • Wellbore positioning and anti-collision • Drilling dynamics • Project management • Client relationship management • Data analytics software proficiency (Spotfire/Power BI) • Strategic Thinking • Risk management • Problem solver • Effective communicator • Solutions Integrator • Resourceful • Fluent Bilingual (ENG/SPAN) • SCRUM Fundamentals • Technology enthusiast
Master’s in Business Administration (MBA)
IE Business School, Madrid – Spain
BS in Electrical Engineering (Electronics)
Universidad de Los Andes, Bogotá – Colombia