YP: Christmas Bicycle Build with CycleHouston
Join SPE Young Professionals for the annual Bicycle Build with CycleHouston (Previously known as Elves and more).
Each year this organization partner with elementary schools to encourage students in kindergarten through third grade to improve reading skills, behavior and attendance.
Those students who commit to a special monitoring program and fulfill all necessary requirements are rewarded with a bike!
SPE Young Professionals will be assisting with assembling some of 10,000 bikes to be delivered to these students the week before Christmas.
There is a donation required of $40 USD per participant. This almost covers the cost of one bicycle. For the first 25 registered volunteers, SPE will cover half of this fee that comes to be 20 dollars. After the first 25 spots are filled, the required donation charged to participant will be $40 USD.
For questions or inquiries, please contact Catalina Leal at email@example.com, Ana Luz Morales at firstname.lastname@example.org or Danny Marquez at email@example.com
To learn more about CycleHouston please visit http://cyclehouston.org/
For the day of the event:
Before you arrive:
- Please bring your receipt.
- Wear closed-toe shoes and comfortable clothing. Protective gloves are optional.
- Bring 13mm and 15mm wrenches, a Philips head screwdriver, a 5mm Allen wrench, and scissors to cut plastic strapping.
- Please do not bring power tools.
Where to go:
- Navigate to NRG Center and enter via North Stadium Drive.
- For free parking you will be directed to park in the Red Lot. If you enter from Kirby, you may be charged a parking fee.
- Enter through Hall D at NRG Center, and you'll find us taking up Halls D and E.
When you get there:
- Present your receipt to a representative.
- You will be asked to sign a waiver.
- A short video will be shown. You may have seen it already, but this video covers safety and other procedures. (Plus, our lawyer insists!)
- Before you begin, you will shadow someone through the bike-building process. (You'd be surprised at how many bikes our veteran volunteers have to fix!)
- You will then be free to collect bikes to build one at a time.
- After building your bike, you will take it to the Quality Assurance team to be checked.
- Once your bicycle is cleared, deliver it to the staging space, clean up any scraps, and then collect a new box and start the process over again!
What to eat:
- Water and soda will be available.
- You may pack a sandwich or small snack.
- Please do not attempt to have food delivered. It will not be allowed in.
- There must be at least one adult for every four volunteers under 18 years old.
- Children are welcome to the event, but please keep in mind that we are acting as a factory, and there are many forklifts and people moving around.
- Your little ones can help by holding tools, turning wrenches, pushing bikes, picking up trash in your area, etc. If they begin to get bored, please take a moment to step away and play at the side of the hall to keep them happy.
1 Reliant Parkway
Houston , Texas 77054